For example:
If I decided to focus on personification, I might discuss how Transtromer compares a shadow to a man standing beside an "armor of black dragon scales." I would then attempt to use personification in my personal narrative, and include it as part of my post.
Once there was a shock that left behind a long, shimmering comet tail. It keeps us inside. It makes the TV pictures snowy. It settles in cold drops on the telephone wires. One can still go slowly on skis in the winter sun through brush where a few leaves hang on. They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories. Names swallowed by the cold. It is still beautiful to hear the heart beat but often the shadow seems more real than the body. The samurai looks insignificant beside his armor of black dragon scales.
I could use alliteration in my personal narrative in order to enhance a sentence to really grab the readers attention. The use of alliteration would make a dull sentence exciting and more interesting. An example of Alliteration in the poem, After a Death is in the line that states, "One can still go slowly on skis in the winter sun." This line could be said quite simply, but that would not be interesting, and the use of alliteration draws the reader in and the sound of the poem flows better.
ReplyDeleteOne form of figurative language that I could use is metaphor. The writer used a metaphor to describe leaves in his poem: "They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories." Finding similarities in two unlike things is one way to grab the reader's attention. A metaphor I could use might be: the sun was a match, quickly burning out until it was all gone.
ReplyDelete-Teigue Young
In my personal narrative I would probably be most likely to use a metaphor. In the poem "After Death" the author uses a metaphor. "It makes the Tv snowy" is comparing the fuzzy tv screen to a snow storm. The use of this poetic device would spice up my writing, enhancing the reader's experience. Using metaphors in writing will draw the reader in, instead of putting them to sleep.
ReplyDelete-Kelly Dellovo
I could use a metaphor in my personal narrative. Like Tomas did, he was comparing two things. He compared the shadow with the samurai. Metaphors are cool and so are similes, so I'm going to use a simile. I could use this in my personal narrative by saying, the men were a gang, ravaging the streets like stray dogs.
ReplyDelete- Matthew Hopfenspirger
I could use personification to enhance my personal narrative. Personification brings life to otherwise dull objects, adding unique twists to every piece of writing. An example of personification in "After A Death" was the line, "Names swallowed by the cold." Obviously the cold cannot swallow anything, as cold is just a temperature. It has no throat nor does it have the ability to swallow. Yet the author manages to bring a temperature to life by saying it can devour names. Applying something like this to my personal narrative would really add to the story. I could say something like "The teddy bear glared angrily at me, like it was all my fault."
ReplyDelete-- Emma Fleuette
DeleteOne piece of figurative language that I could use in my personal narrative could be metaphors. Metaphors are a good way to compare two things to each other. In the poem After a Death, by Tomas Transtromer, Tomas states that "They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories." This is a good example of a metaphor because it greatly compares the leaves on the tree to pages falling from a phone book. Using metaphors in your writing can enhance your work by relating these things to relatable objects or actions.
ReplyDelete~Garrett Smith
I'm very interested in using Hyperbole in my personal narrative. Tomas used this vocabulary exaggeration in a few sentences. One of the more powerful ones, and my favorite is that "the shadow seems more real that the body" along with "names swallowed by the cold." Each of these lines show how a detailed word can compliment a stanza and even a paragraph for an essay.
ReplyDelete~ Patience Deaton
Similarly to many of my peers, I would use a metaphor in my personal narrative to make it more interesting to the audience. Mr. Thomas Transtromer uses a metaphor to compare leaves to "pages torn from old telephone directories". Metaphors can be used to paint a picture in the mind of the reader and make it easier for them to picture the scenery the way the writer intended. I might say, "Fear is an irrational, unstoppable beast which can only be conquered by looking it in the eyes."
ReplyDelete-Hannah Kenney
I could use a metaphors to enhance my writing. In this poem a metaphor was used in the line, "the samurai looks insignificant besides its armor of black dragon scales". This line is describing a shadow, but instead of just saying, "there was a shadow" the author uses a metaphor to paint a vivid picture in his readers mind. I could use a metaphor or a simile in my personal narrative to paint a picture in my readers head, and help me to better understand my situation. "My life was a constant struggle like a game that can't be won"
ReplyDelete-Madison Angulas
Like many people have already said, I could use a metaphor in my personal narrative to better explain my experience. By using a metaphor similar to the author of the poem where he relates black armor to dragon scales, I can relate two unlike things to give the reader a better image of what I was going through. In the past I’ve used lots of metaphors to compare weather conditions, or an emotional feeling. Hopefully in my personal narrative I can go beyond these comparisons and get more in depth and original with my metaphors.
ReplyDelete-Sarah Lafleur
In this poem, Tomas Transtromer incorporated a metaphor in which he used to describe what the leaves looked like: “They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories.” This metaphor helps create an image in one’s mind of what the leaves looked like. Within my personal narrative, I could incorporate a metaphor to further describe something. A metaphor that I could include could go something like, “My body was a scratching post and no matter how much I scratched, the itch would never go away.”
ReplyDelete~Charlotte Dyer
Tomas Transtromer used many metaphors in his writing and my favorite was :"They resemble pages torn from old phone directories." He wrote this to describe the leaves and it created a powerful image. I could use either a metaphor or a simile. In my personal narrative, to incorporate similes, I could write: "The bucket weighed me down, as if I was carrying a cinder block". To incorporate metaphors, I could write: "My pain was an anchor tied to my foot".
ReplyDelete-Gabi Sellers
IN the poem above the author incorporated many different elements of speech to enhance his poem. One element that stood out the most to me was his use of a metaphor in the lines: "through brush where a few leaves hang on.
ReplyDeleteThey resemble pages torn from old telephone directories." Metaphors are great ways to describe something is a creative way that creates great mental images. A way I can include a metaphor in my personal narrative is when the police car pulled me over I could say "The police lights were bolts of lightening sending nervous shocks into my body." this sentence is much more interesting to read than just saying "the police lights scared me". Ill be sure to use more metaphors in my personal narrative to enhance the writing quality.
-Courtney Kenny
Similarly to everyone else, the figurative language I will incorporate into my personal narrative will most likely be the use of metaphors. Although basic, metaphors truly have the capability of bringing the level of writing up a level. It is key in order to create a vivid picture in the readers mind. A metaphor used in Tomas Transtromer's piece is, "The samurai looks insignificant beside his armor of black dragon scales." Not only does this metaphor create a more in depth picture in the readers mind, it also creates a bit of a darker mood throughout the ending of the poem. I will be sure to carry over the usage of metaphors to my personal narrative in hopes to achieve a more intriguing story.
ReplyDeleteIn my personal narrative, I would like to include personification to help better describe the environment I am attempting to set. An example of this form of figurative language from the poem is "names swallowed by the cold". Instead of simply saying "it was cold", Tranströmer used personification to enhance the feeling of coldness. When writing my personal narrative, I hope to bring the reader to the place that I was in and allow them to feel the way I felt, without being too straight forward. Personification is a great tool that I look forward to including in my personal narrative.
ReplyDelete~Lauren Kaltsas
Tomas uses alliteration in his poem. Although the alliteration is not consecutive, same letter repeating itself side by side, I can still find alliteration in shock, shimmering, snowy, and settles. The noise that an 's' makes is repeated too. All these words are descriptive words that put the reader in the poem. I could choose consecutive alliteration, but I like what Tomas has done. I can choose one letter/ one similar sound and incorporate it into my personal narrative. This way, it is not too flashy but it leaves the reader with something to remember. If I were to use the 's' --- Silver buttons in the elevator..Insert some other text...She smiles....The scone drops on the ground.
ReplyDelete---Moriah Calfin
One particular line of this poem struck me in relation to my own narrative, "It is still beautiful to hear the heart beat". I am not positive of what kind of figurative language this is, but Tomas uses it to reminisce with the reader. The way I interpreted it, Tomas is saying it is good to remember the beautiful things. I am writing my narrative about seeing my grandmother for the last time. I am planning on wrapping it up by speaking of the memories of her. I would like to incorporate language like this in the ending. I am thinking something along the lines of "It is not sad to think of my grandmother, it is wonderful to remember all of the memories we shared that will live on forever."
ReplyDelete-Anna Smith
While Transtromer uses many types of figurative language in his poem After Death, the one that struck me the most was his use of personification. The image of "names swallowed by the cold" stayed in my head longer than ones using metaphors. In my personal narrative, I use many metaphors, but not as much personification. Instead of calling my fear a wall at the beginning of my paper, I could say “the fear calculates its moves and strikes when I least expect it.” This will be more vivid than the image of the wall.
ReplyDeleteIn this poem, the author used many examples of personification to really enhance the poems totally effect on the reader. This device not only makes the writing more interesting to read, but makes imagining and picturing what is going on easy and enjoyable for the reader. Specifically in After Death, Tomas says "Names swallowed by the cold." The personification adds a level of description that really benefits the reader. In my narrative, I talk a lot about inanimate objects affecting me a noticeable ways and I could incorporate many uses of personification into my personal narrative.
ReplyDeletei think the poem is a pretty advanced poem. a basic writer would take a good amount of time taking apart what the author is trying to say. i could use some of his personification to help me express some of my deep down feelings without truly showing them, wanna make you wounder,
ReplyDeleteTylor Angers
A literary device that I could incorperate into my personal narrative us a metaphor. The author uses a metaphor in the last two lines of this poem when he compares a person and their legacy to a samurai and his black dragon armor. I could incorporate this into my story by comparing the beautiful white monuments to heaven and it's beauty.
ReplyDeleteThis poem has many very high level literary devices, but the one that I found most noticeable was the personification. I feel like personification in the line “Names swallowed by the cold” added to the imagery and meaning of the poem. In my own personal I could add personification to enhance my writing. In my writing I spend a large portion of the writing fixating on a specific inanimate object. Specifically I could write “The cube grabbed onto my fingers and wouldn’t let go until its secret was revealed”.
ReplyDelete--Jarod George
The last 2 lines of this poem are beautifully written. A samurai is a symbol of the dead body, and the armor of black dragon scales is a symbol of the significant actions this person has done in their life. The armor (which shows that the samurai has slain a dragon) shows more about the samurai's life than the samurai itself. I can use metaphors like this in my personal narrative to add depth to the story, making people think about the connections that may lie underneath the words.
ReplyDeleteOne poetic device that is used in "After a Death" is an alliteration. In "After a Death" it states, "go slowly on skis in the winter sun." This repeats the syllable "s". I could use this in my poem to enhance a sentence that seems dull or uninteresting. For example, I could say, "As my snowboard slid down the slope I saw trees slip by me."
ReplyDelete- Brian Mitchell
the poetic device I would probably use the most would be personification because giving an item that does not human like qualities would fit in my personal narrative very well.
ReplyDelete- Jae Clarke-Randolph
I could use a personification in my personal narrative like Tomas did in his poem. He used the term. Names swallowed by the cold. I feel that a personification in my story can enhance the point im trying to put forward to make the reader stop and think about the line and implant the line in their head.
ReplyDelete-Alex McNally
"They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories."
ReplyDeleteMy personal narrative takes on the perspective of a three year old me. Little kids often make creative connections like the comparison between leaves and old telephone book pages in the poem. I could use metaphors in my poem to channel the three year old me and make a more accurate pespective
this is from Rosie...
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSimilar to Bidisha and Lauren, the line that left a vivid image in my mind was "names swallowed by the cold". The personification in this line is amazing. It conveys many different ideas in just one line. I would love to be able to put something like this in my own writing. In part of my personal narrative I am talking about how I am thinking about worst case scenarios. Instead of saying "...all I can think about are worst case scenarios..." I can incorporate personification and say "...worst case scenarios slowly crawl back into my mind..."
ReplyDelete-Kali M
I also think personification would work best in my poem, and picked out the same line; "names swallowed by the cold". I almost feel like in the context of the poem this is referring to the names of all the people he could be reaching out to, but the 'coldness' of his grief is closing him off to that option. In my paper there's a point where I'm standing in front of these younger girls that I'm supposed to be giving this big life lesson to, and could alter the line to, "And here, the moment in which I was expected to practically glow with maturity and maternal support, the option to girlishly giggle and 'so um yeah' my way through a 'I'm a woman now and you can be too' speech beckoned with devilishly seductive reassurance.
ReplyDeleteI think that using metaphors would enhance my personal narrative. In the poem After a Death the author uses metaphors. One that really stands out to me is "it makes the tv pictrures snowy". I think that using metaphors in my writing would make it more descriptive and detailed. I also think it will paint a better picture in the readers mind.
ReplyDeleteThe author used personification excellently in his poem. I agree with others in that it makes the image a lot more powerful. The line he used was "names swallowed by the cold". I definitely believe personification could add to my poem because it will make the images in my writing stick out in the readers mind. I used personification and changed "I was freezing" to "the cold sent attack after attack at my body".
ReplyDelete-Jackson Pollio
Similar to what others have said, using a metaphor would enhance my personal narrative. A specific metaphor which stood out in the poem, After Death, is "it makes the tv pictures snowy". Using metaphors in writing is important in helping the reader to visualize. I also think that metaphors help to create familiarity to the reader, meaning helping to recognize things. This can help the reader to maybe connect to the writing. emotionally or even just help to give a better understanding.
ReplyDelete-Callie Anderson
The writing in this poem is enhanced through the contradiction of beautiful imagery paired with a topic implying a more sad theme. One very descriptive sentence, "hat left behind a long, shimmering comet tail.
ReplyDeleteIt keeps us inside. It makes the TV pictures snowy". His use of adjectives create a beautiful image that provides interesting juxtaposition to the actual theme of the poem. I can use this technique to help my personal narrative by using vivid imagery. Sometimes it is more effective to describe non beatiful things in a way that does not parallel with the meaning, but contradicts it. This is hard to do but if done correctly, it is very powerful, as shown in this poem.
I agree with Eli that the last two lines of the poem are excellently written and can easily be adapted into a personal narrative. The metaphor that compares the samurai and his suit of armor with life and death is just outstanding. It gets you to think beyond the words and think about the actual meaning of the poem. This is something that I can put in my personal narrative. It will get people to think beyond the words and towards the meaning behind the words. This will add a completely new level to my narrative and will improve it greatly.
ReplyDeleteI love the way figurative language was used in this poem. It really enhances not only the meaning but the importance of the words themselves. I will definitely be using figurative language in my personal narrative because I want to improve my skills pertaining to it and it fits my topic well. Seeing a piece of writing with such powerful and strong language really makes me want to step up and improve my writing. (sorry if this posts multiple times I'm struggling with having it show up!)
ReplyDeleteThe personification used in the poem ais really interesting. In sentenc like the one with the samurai and it's armor, the author describes A situation in a very interesting way which could help me explain what is going on in my personal narrative. For example I could talk about how the rock wall I was climbing was my enemy, which would be an example of personification.
ReplyDeleteIn this poem there was a lot of personifications such as in "Names swallowed by the cold." To me this described not literal cold but sadness. In my personal narrative I could use personification because my story takes place in the summer, but ends sadly and in a tragic way.
ReplyDeleteIn this poem I personally like the amount of visual representations that were provided in the writing. For me it kept the poem interesting, without these visual I believe the poem would ultimately suck. But honestly this is just another cliché poem about death and despair.
ReplyDelete-Alex Waldron
One thing this poem did well that i could use in my personal narrative is metaphors. A good metaphor from the poem is "through brush where a few leaves hang on". The metaphor makes the poem more descriptive. i could use metaphors in my personal narrative to describe how i was skiing and how i got hurt in more depth.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the use of metaphors within the poem. The metaphor "The samurai looks insignificant beside his armor of black dragon scales" helps contribute a deeper meaning and provides a more accurate description about what runs through one's mind when another dies. Instead of just saying that what one does in his own life is more important that one's life itself, the metaphor evokes an emotional and relatable response from its reader, while still depicting the same meaning. In my personal narrative it will be useful to me to use metaphors, mostly because metaphors often times contribute a more accurate and more vivid description of a feeling or event than just stating what happened. This will enrich my writing and make my story more significant and interesting.
ReplyDelete"Names swallowed by the cold" uses a metaphor because names cant really be swallowed by the cold. This is a good technique in writing. I will use metaphors during my personal narrative to add imagery and emotion. Like Jess said, it will improve my work and make the story more interesting. When the poem says, "The samurai looks insignificant beside his armor of black dragon scales," I can picture what the poet is writing about. This adds to the poem and makes it alive.
ReplyDeleteWhen the poem states "names swallowed by the cold" when talking about the old telephone book. I could use this figure of speech to describe the money (from my story) using language to infer certain descriptions. It adds to the mood and voice of the story and could be used for better imagery and just overall fluency. This could easily be incorporated into my narrative.
ReplyDelete-Andrew Winter
Ignore that first "when"
DeleteThis poem uses a lot of different elements of figurative language, but a particular line stands out to me. This line is “his armor of black dragon scales.” This gives the reader a clear image of what the author is trying to portray and I can see this working out well in my narrative. It is a very descriptive metaphor that is comparing two unlikely things and I feel as though this really brought the image to life. I can incorporate this into my narrative when I describe the doughnut and the different ways that I compare it to other objects.
ReplyDelete-Shelby Desmarais
I enjoyed the metaphors throughout this poem the most. I loved how the poet kept comparing the shock to different objects. He says
ReplyDelete"Once there was a shock
that left behind a long, shimmering comet tail.
It keeps us inside. It makes the TV pictures snowy.
It settles in cold drops on the telephone wires."
He is comparing the shock to cold drops on telephone wires. I like the image this metaphor puts out. I can use metaphors to enhance my personal narrative by adding them to unexpected places throughout my narrative. Metaphors enhance writing by showing and comparing what is going on to real life objects. It helps to describe things in a new and interesting way.
-Bre Marks
Thomas did a good job using metaphors and similes. He also had personification. Agreeing with Katie and some other peers, the example of personification, "Names swallowed by the cold." made the readers more interested in the poem because it was specific. The personification gives a sense of imagery that I could use in my personal narrative! I could mention how "The anesthesia doctor's words dancing around in my head as i feel into a deep sleep" as personification.
ReplyDelete-Jolynn
To make my personal narrative better I can use metaphors in my writing better. Transformer uses metaphor in the lines "through brush where a few leaves hang on.They resemble pages torn from old telephone directories." This gives the reader a better visual of the few leaves hanging on through giving them another similar thing to visualize. I can use metaphors in descriptions in my writing to make them more vivid and to help the reader visualize the object being described.
ReplyDeleteBrayden Jarnagin
I could use personification in my personal narrative like Thomas does in his poem. He demonstrates personification in the line "through brush where leaves hang on" this is a personification because leaves cant "hang on" to a branch or tree like the author describes. By doing this the poem is further enhanced and makes it more interesting to read. this would do the same for my story if I incorporate different personifications as well as other parts of figurative language.
ReplyDelete-Michael Robicheau
One form of figurative language that would really benefit my personal narrative and make it stand out is metaphor. Transtromer uses it in his poem: “It keeps us inside. It makes the TV pictures snowy.” I can similarly do that in my personal narrative. An example of this is: “the rappers are poets, literary geniuses, speaking their thoughts.”
ReplyDeleteI really like all of the vivid imagery that Thomas used, and I believe I can incorporate that in my own poem. This will improve the image my writing will plant into the reader's mind, giving them a more in depth look into the story. Instead of saying "I was using Google to search for patterns and ideas, but some were incomplete, cost money, or were just a picture and no instruction" I can add " I was using Google to search for patterns and ideas, trying to rustle through the expansive folds of the internet...".
ReplyDeleteIn order to enrich my personal narrative, I used the technique of personification. Personification brings objects to life by giving them human like characteristics and actions. “Names swallowed by the cold” is an example of personification used in “After a Death.” This use of the writing technique allows the writer to “bring something to life” figuratively since the cold obviously cannot swallow anything. Personification adds depth to writing. When applying this technique to my own personal narrative, I could say something along the lines of “the windshield wipers cried out in frustration as they struggled to keep up with the buckets of water that poured down upon them.”
ReplyDelete-Erin Woods
I think having metaphors in your personal narrative is something to keep in mind. Using metaphors is pretty easy when you want to describe something like they do in this advanced poem. Also adding personification adds a little more to your story when it comes down to depth of characters or even things in the story.
ReplyDeleteIn the poem, Tomas uses alliteration in his poem to grab the reader's attention and make the piece more interesting. He uses alliteration when he says "slowly on skis in the winter sun". This is where the poem grabs my attention when he uses the same sound at the beginning of words to make the reader enjoy the poem. The line in the poem could have the same meaning, but be much less interesting if the alliteration were to be left out.
ReplyDelete