Thursday, January 30, 2014

Poetry Out Loud Memorization Activity



Due by midnight on Sunday (2/2/2014)

This is one of the ways I memorize poetry (or just about anything, really); it may prove useful to some of you, too! Please follow the steps exactly and write a short (3-5 sentence) blog post on your experience. Was this method useful? What did/didn't you like about it? How did this compare to other memorization techniques?


Step One: Read the poem to yourself (not out loud)
Step Two: Now read only the first line of the poem out loud. Take your eyes from the page and immediately, out loud, say the line again. Glance quickly to make sure you got it right. If you made a mistake, do it over. Now move on to the second line and repeat the procedure- one out loud reading followed by one out loud recitation of the line from memory. Do this for every line in the poem, in order.
Step Three: Once you have completed going through the poem, go back to the beginning. This time read the first two lines aloud, look away, and repeat them aloud. Check briefly that you got it right. If you make a mistake do it over. Now move on to the next two lines and so forth going through the poem two lines at a time.
Step Four: Repeat the process three lines at a time, then 4 lines at a time, then 5 and then 6. I have found that by the 6th pass, no matter how long or short the poem, you will have the whole thing committed to memory. At some point in this process you will find that you are able to recite the whole poem without hardly a glance at the poem. I recommend doing all six passes even if you already seem to have the poem down before then.
Step Five: Recite the whole poem, preferably just before you go to bed at night.
Step Six: (IMPORTANT): Stop thinking about the poem and just sleep on it. Your sleeping mind is very important for memory- it sort of saves to your brain’s hard drive the information that has been floating around in its RAM while it worked through the poem.
The next day you should find (perhaps with a little glance at the first line of the poem to kickstart your memory) that you can recite the whole poem. You have mechanically memorized the text: now is your opportunity to explore the poem, its hidden meanings and connections, without needing the text in front of you!

61 comments:

  1. I followed these steps, I was able to memorize a few more stanzas, but not the whole thing yet. So in short it does work to an extent as long as you don't over do it. I still need to do an analysis on the poems meaning and why the poet wrote it. -Jesse Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually really worked for me. It's just really tedious to go through so many times. The only problem is if you get used to saying a line like it's the end of a thought because of the way the line breaks fall, and really it's right in the middle, it's hard to correct later after going through so many times and forming the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This method of memorization was quite helpful, especially when I recited the poem right before bed. I had to be patient with memorizing the entire poem, but it was worth it. I agree with Alyssa, it was quite "tedious to go though so many times". What I would suggest is to memorize the poem, while walking around, well, it works for me. Either way, both are useful. \

    - Nicole Zheng

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually use this technique whenever I have to memorize something. I find it helpful because you can go in order and it allows you to go at the pace you want. I agree with Alyssa that it is "tedious", but that tediousness helps you to memorize the poem. I believe reciting it as many times as possible helps in the end.
    -Bre

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this technique is very helpful because of the repetition. However, I do agree with Alyssa that its easy to thinking of each line ending as the end of a thought rather than thinking of a whole stanza as one thought. I find it easier to repeat sentence by sentence rather than line by line. I think this helps when reciting the whole poem, since at the end of the line, its easier for me to remember what thought goes it to rather than what line comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this technique, it was really easy to begin and overall wasn’t that painful of an experience. The reading then looking away really helped me because it tested your memorization as you went along. The only part of the process that I did not like was the memorization of the 3 and 5 lines at a time. The odds numbers felt so award to memorize as I would get my momentum rolling and then have to break mid stanza. I much preferred the 4 lines and 6 as they worked better with the layout of my stanzas and coupled lines. This was probably specific to my poem but I think more freedom with the line repetition would be better.


    -Jarod George

    ReplyDelete
  7. This method was useful at first, but as I kept increasing the number of lines I had to repeat, it was difficult for my poem, which is a rhyming poem. I wanted to keep the steady flow, but repeating 3 lines messed me up. I usually memorize by different blocks of the poem, but this technique is good for others that need a structured guideline. -Moriah Calfin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This method was a good start to memorizing my poem. It was beneficial because it made us read our poem multiple times, which is the only way to really get something stuck in your head. However, normally when I memorize something, I do it in small peices at a time. I thought that the process was to much to cover in one sitting. I usually practice a few lines at one time, and then do a few more the next day or later that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My comment deleted itself.... so here it is again!!
    This method of memorization was extremely helpful to me to memorize my whole poem. I was able to read my lines and it helped me get all the way to the bottom in less than 6 tries like the paper stated. The only problem that I faced was that by the end of trying this method I really knew the beginning of my poem but I didn't know the end that well. Since this works on so much repetition in the beginning of the poem I had to break it up and try this method in just the second stanza, and the third stanza and so on to help memorize my poem more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This method of memorization was really helpful to me! There aren't really any breaks in my poem, its just one long thing so I was having trouble memorizing it. I could barely remember the first sentence before I tried this, but the repetition helped me. I do agree with Bidisha though that it might be more beneficial to go sentence to sentence instead of repeating it line by line.
    ~Kali M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually found this technique to be very helpful. I would normally just memorize a poem one stanza at a time, and I would then be thinking of the poem in separate sections. But by using this method, I was able to memorize the poem as a whole, and much quicker than if I had used any other method.

    -Teigue Young

    ReplyDelete
  12. This method of memorization actually worked really well! I agree with what Alyssa said about this method messing up the timing with the line breaks and that it's a bit difficult to correct later. I modified it a little to suit my poem better and make it a little easier to memorize. Because my poem rhymes in an AB pattern instead of going by single lines, I memorized by double so I could hear the rhyming words and get the rhythm.
    -Hannah Kenney

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did all of the steps and it was a good start to memorizing my poem. I think I need to work on it a little more. I don't memorize things well, so i think this was a good stepping stone for the memorization. I still dont have the whole thing memorized, but i do have a good grasp. It was a little tricky for me because my poem is rhyming in a stanza with three lines. So I kind of had to memorize it by every three lines to keep the rhyming

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought that this method for memorization was very effective. Especially because my poem is structured in two line stanzas making the steps very simple to follow and even more effective. It's a lot easier to follow steps for memorization instead of just looking at the poem wondering how to start memorizing it. I agree with Sarah in that this method helped me memorize the beginning of the poem the most.
    -Jackson Pollio

    ReplyDelete
  15. This method of memorization was very effective. I had already memorized most of my poem, but was constantly getting stuck on a few parts. This method helped me with those few hiccups and i was able to recite my poem as a whole without having to look at my poem. This was very helpful

    -callie anderson

    ReplyDelete
  16. This method was extremely helpful for me! I have had trouble memorizing poetry in particular in the past, but this definitely helped me. The repetition helped the poem stick in my mind and I now have most of it memorized. I agree with Sarah, it helped more with the beginning of the poem because I had to repeat it so many times. However, I think if I do this more I will have the whole thing down by heart.

    -Anna Smith

    ReplyDelete
  17. This method was very helpful for learning my! It was a very effective method that i would recommend to other students doing poetry out loud. This was a much faster method that I have tried in the past. I found myself getting pretty frustrated at some point though, I would get certain lines mixed up and I would find that I would move very slow in certain spots. But all around I liked the method.
    -Courtney Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  18. This method of memorization is actually quite similar to the way I previously memorized things. Memorization isn't quite my strong suite, but by going and repeating the poem as a whole with each additional memorized line truly helped to see the poem in its entirety.The only thing that was a bit tricky for me was repeating the lines out loud, I personally benefit by just doing it in my head, at least in the beginning stages.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found this method do be very effective. This memorizing method closely resembles the way I usually go about memorizing things. I usually try to memorize one line at a time, and then continue adding lines once I have them memorized. I agree with Jess about reciting the lines out loud. I like to have the whole poem memorized before I say it out loud.
    ~ Charlotte Dyer

    ReplyDelete
  20. This method for memorizing my poem was beneficial. I found it helping because I got the hang of how the words flow together each line. I started memorizing stanza by stanza afterwards, and I agree with Anna and Sarah when they said that it was easier to memorize in the beginning of the poem. The one thing that I did not like was that it was challenging to read four lines out loud, then memorize them on the top of your head, instead of one line at a time like I usually do. But i recommend this method to other students!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In the past I have used a similar strategy for memorizing poems. This method proved just as effective to me as my past method because it breaks the poem down into sections instead of just jumping right into the whole thing. The one problem that I found with this way of memorizing was that it seemed to be long. At the same time, the poem needs to be split apart and broken down to effectively memorize it. In the past, I would memorize the first line and then say the first line again while attempting to memorize the second ( 1, 1-2, 1-2-3 ) until i got through the poem. Then I would start again with less "cheats". Both ways prove to be effective for me and I would definitely recommend this method to another student.
    ~Lauren Kaltsas

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't find his method of memorization to be effective for me. My poem has a slight rhyming scheme and as others have said, this method tripped me up because of that. I also found that because my poem is really repetitive, repeating the lines out loud would get me tongue-tied quite often and really messed up my ability to memorize the poem. My usual method of memorization is to tackle the poem one stanza at a time by mouthing the words to myself (not actually saying them) and not moving on to the next stanza until the previous one is completely memorized and internalized, and for this poem, I found that method of memorization more effective. This method seemed to work well for many others, but for whatever reason did not work very well for me and my poem.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found that this method of memorization was partially effective. it felt really repetitive and i found myself thinking too hard about each line and the one previous. I kept mixing up the different stanzas and lines and kept having to check back at my paper. I feel like if i do this a second time it will have a greater effect on me than it did this first time. I am going to do it again in a different environment as well. i think part of the reason i was having trouble was because i was in a loud room with other people . Next time i am going to do it in a quiet room with no music/distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought this poem was kind of helpful because it helped me remember most of the lines and I think I will be able to recite my poem with little prompting. It broke up the poem not by stanzas which I thought was helpful because it arranged things in different ways which will stick in my memory. However, only time will tell if this memorization was effective and if we will be able to recite our poem in front of people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought the method that was given to us to use, was very effective in terms of helping to memorize our poems. I liked that it was a repetitive technique because it helped me become familiar with each line in my poem. This technique is a lot better than other techniques that just include you repeating each line over and over until it sticks, because it has you only reading it once, trying to memorize it right after and retrying if you've messed up. It helped me learn from my mistakes and prevent me form making the same ones in that stanza or line next time I would read it. I will definitely be using this technique more often when it comes to memorizing poems! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. After using this particular method of memorization I feel like I have a somewhat better grasp on the poem. I am not sure how effective it was though. While the repetitiveness may help some I feel as though my brain went on auto- pilot and I still cannot my entire poem. I find success with simply memorizing the poem in 4-6 line blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found that this method of memorization was effective but not to the point that I can remember my whole poem. If I continuously practiced this method every night, I would probably be able to memorize completely. It is actually pretty similar to one way I sometimes try and memorize things. Although this might be an excellent way for some people, I was only satisfactory for me. Sometimes I try and give what I am trying to memorize a rhythm, similar to a song. This helps me remember exactly was words are being used.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Memorizing poetry is a difficult task, but this technique helped alot. After rewriting the poem, I had a better sense of the order of the stanzas and meaning to my poem. I would usually write a stanza and then reread what i wrote. Every time i did that, i got more familiar with the rhythm and words of the poem. I would recommend this to anyone who was struggling with memorizing their poem.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I normally struggle with memorization and have to read it out loud many times to even get a few lines in my head. This method did help, but I certainly am still struggling with memorizing it. If I go over it a few more times, I feel like I will remember more of it. It made me more familiar with the lines, but it still hasn't stuck in my head. I'll keep practicing with this method and hopefully that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Overall, I have struggled with memorizing poetry. Although it was this technique useful when only focusing on two-three lines at a time, I still found struggled when trying to put together the 4-6 lines. I did not find this method useful. I struggled with mixing up the words/stanzas. However, when I write the poem out, I do have success in memorization.
    - Erin Woods

    ReplyDelete
  31. This method was helpful, but could not get me to memorize the whole poem. This was extremely tedious, but it was worth it because I have more of my poem memorized. I do not think this will help me again though.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This technique is very similar to how I would normally go about memorizing something. It is useful and effective, the linear repetition is what works best for me. I didn't know about the sleeping fact about how sleeping solidifies things in one's memory. Sometimes the poem would get confusing if I started mixing up certain lines, but that was easily fixed later in the memorization. I have little criticism for this technique. -Andrew Winter

    ReplyDelete
  33. This technique did not work for me because I don't memorize line by line. The best way I am able to memorize the poem is by memorizing one stanza a day, and slowly adding them all up until I have memorized them all, and am able to fully recite the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I found this this technique helpful for memorizing my poem. I usually memorize things by copying them down over and over again, but I believe that by saying the poem out loud I will memorize the poem faster. This technique definitely helped a lot with memorizing the sound of my poem. I would recommend this to anyone who needed to new memorization technique
    -Madison Angulas

    ReplyDelete
  35. I did not find this technique useful because memorizing is a difficult task for me. I usually have to just memorize by stanzas and not line by line. In order for me to memorize something i just have to drill it in my brain by reading one stanza every day a consecutive amount of times. I appreciate your effort in trying to help us.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This method was helpful, but it is very similar if not the same to what I normally do. I usually go over the first part, then the second and first then the third, second and first part at one time. Although what I do not like about this is memorizing it line by line, I prefer a few lines at a time or a stanza, but overall this method proves to be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This was kind of effective for me, if I look at the beginning of each stanza then I can remember most of them. Like Alyssa and others have been mentioning, it is a long process, but it does cut down the time you would normally memorize something considerably. In other experiences with memorizing poems in the past, we would look at only a line a day, and it would take a little over half a month to learn them. This seems to me to be more timely and more effective.
    -Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  38. I found this technique of memorizing a poem very useful. I think 2 is the step that I believe is most helpful to me while learning a poem. It often helps me to break up and memorize a poem in lines or stanzas. I disagree with step 5 because before I go to bed at night, I am often very tired. Trying to learn while I am very tired usually isn't very helpful, but overall, I do think that this technique was well thought out and a great way to study poetry.

    - Brian Lynch

    ReplyDelete
  39. This method happens to be what I usually use any time I start to memorize something. I found it to be helpful but it was very repetitive, and like others have previously stated, I know the beginning of my poem very well, but not so much the end. This method of memorization did help me with memorizing my poem, but only as a start. There is a lot more work that needs to be done in order to fully memorize my poem.

    -Shelby Desmarais

    ReplyDelete
  40. I felt that this method was tedious, however it is not how I usually go about memorizing information. I usually will recite the poem over and over again until I know it fairly well. Structuring the memorization process does not really work for me. Memorization is easy for me, however for someone who isn't as pro as I, this is definitely something to try out. As I stated before, the line by line memorization drills do appear tedious to someone who isn't inclined to actually memorize their poem.

    - Matt Coppola

    ReplyDelete
  41. I felt that this method was tedious, however it is not how I usually go about memorizing information. I usually will recite the poem over and over again until I know it fairly well. Structuring the memorization process does not really work for me. Memorization is easy for me, however for someone who isn't as pro as I, this is definitely something to try out. As I stated before, the line by line memorization drills do appear tedious to someone who isn't inclined to actually memorize their poem.

    - Cameron Ca$hman

    ReplyDelete
  42. I thought that this technique was extremely effective, I have been using it for the past few days and my poem is almost completely memorized! The only problem with the technique is that you need to have a bunch of time to do it, I was called down for dinner in the middle of it and it didn't have enough time to finish the exersizes and I wasnt able to remember part of my poem when i came back. Definetly 5/5 stars otherwise.
    jonathan kempf

    ReplyDelete
  43. dang man, i hate getting called down to dinner while memorizing my poetry! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  44. This activity really helped me to memorize my poem. It worked really well and I liked that it didn't require additional materials. However, the exercise did take up a pretty good sized chunk of time. This exercise is definitely one of the best memorization techniques I have used and I believe that I will continue to use it when I need to memorize something.
    Wils Ezequelle

    ReplyDelete
  45. This method of memerizing was helpful for me. It was, as many many other people said, very tedious, but I feel like just spending that much time working with the poem helps on its own as well. I don't think it's something that I would do multiple times, but it can definitely be useful as a jumping off point for memerizing your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Brendan, you are truly AMAZING at poetry. I can't even fathom what sort of godly performance you are going to put on in class this year. Good luck at the national competition!

      Delete
  46. As others have mentioned, I also felt that this method only helped me to memorize the beginning of my poem. I did feel that this was more successful than other tactics I had used before, but would be more useful if broken down into stanzas. Running through my entire poem with this method was not helpful for me because I felt the amount of lines I had to memorize built up too quickly. Once I went through and broke my poem down into sections and applied this method I felt it was much more successful.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow this did really help me with memorizing the poem. The second step worked the best; I pretty much had it memorized after this step. But continually doing it through the 3rd and 4th steps, really improved my hesitation. I recommend this for anyone who is memorizing poems. Usually I just take stanza by stanza and don’t sleep on it, but this really worked.
    -jordan catanuso

    ReplyDelete
  48. I believe this technique did help me memorize the poem. I liked how the poem got broken up into short pieces that were easy to memorize. Also, although it was tedious I think that helped. The one problem I had was the lack of flow at points. Instead of stopping at stanzas, where the poem is naturally broken up, we had to stop in awkward places. Overall, I think this was a good technique that helped me memorize the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  49. wow such memorize many helpful so poetry

    ReplyDelete
  50. By using this technique I was able to memorize my poem, and a lot quicker than previous poems I’ve had to memorize. I agree with others that it is a very tedious process, but it definitely gets the job done. It was a little difficult trying to repeat four or five lines at a time, but soon enough the poem was memorized. Great technique though.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This technique worked pretty well for me. I usually do this when I need to study for tests as well. I agree most everyone on how they said this process was sort of tedious and hard. I think that if I do this with another memorization technique I will be good to go, which surprises me because I have a very hard time with memorization. Sorry this post is a day late, I figured it'd be better late than never!
    -Kate Ede

    ReplyDelete