The Kony 2012 film is remarkable and inspiring to any viewer. I believe Jason Russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past 10 years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he meant in Uganda. The Kony 2012 is a film about making the American government care enough to stop a man named Joseph Kony. Joseph is the leader of an organization in Uganda named the L.R.A. This organization abducts children and either forces them to become slaves or sex slaves. He is also listed as the number one international criminal on the ICC list. This man, for over twenty years, has manipulated his power and it is time, 2012, for his cruelty to end. I believe that the people and government of the United States should become involved in this issue. This war is an issue we should take control and finish because, at the end, we as a country believe children deserve a childhood and happiness. Joseph has also been going on far too long with his inhumane ways, all while keeping them a secret. We, not only as citizens as a powerhouse country but also as human beings, should find this issue big enough to care about and stop. I feel saddened and angered that his man has been able to walk around, hurting children and using him for his benefit because countries, like America, did not think it was a big enough use to involve ourselves in. But it has come the time for the world to come together and stop these actions. We as human beings need to find it in our hearts to keep humanity and save the future of children. BY: JAMIE WALLISCH
Kony 2012 is an astonishing video and really changed my perspective on how i thought of my own life. I know appreciate more of all of the little thigns that i have over here in peaceful America. I agree with Jamie when she says that " I believe jason russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past ten years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he met in Uganda." This video is all about a very dangerous man whose name is Joseph Kony. He is the leader of the LRA and this organization abducts children and forces them to do awful things to there loved ones and random people who have done nothing wrong. Before watching this video i thought that the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda. But afterwards it made me want to learn more. I began to research more and more about Kony and learned many gruesome and heartless things this man has done and has made people do. I now believe that this should be a high priority for the US to get involved with and we need to get Kony into custody. It is very confusing to me that us Americans can just live our day to day good lives, without trying to make a change for someone that is less fortunate than us especailly in this situation. Children are being murdered and forced to do nasty things and we are just watching. We should get involved and stop this crazy man Kony.
WOW..just wow. It discourages me that this has been going on for so long and this video is the first time I have become aware of the details. I agree with Denny when he wrote, “Before watching this video I thought the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda.” For the most part I have an isolationist mindset but this video has made me rethink ignoring and staying out of other countries business. We have a moral obligation to stop this man and his radical group because of their inhumane decisions. The director’s goal in this video is to make the public as well as influential political figures aware of the malicious and violent acts Joseph Kony is performing half way around the world. The video does a phenomenal job at tugging at our heartstrings and gives us a way to help. It is easy. It is simple and there is no excuse for not spreading the world. On facebook this video has blown up and it made me realize that I can help and spread the word from just sitting at my computer so why not? This is a great example of how one can use modern technology productively to help others that may not have the ability to help themselves. –Cassie Farley
This isn't the first time i've seen the KONY2012 video. I think that Kony should be taken care of in any manor necessary due to his inhumane crimes. I also think it is significant how Jacob can deal with all the pressure he has been put through due to Kony.Kony must be stopped and his actions must be put to an end.
I'm going to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to sitting down and watching a half hour long video, but now that I have, wow. I can not believe the amazing awareness this one guy has spread, but he didn't do it alone. I absolutely think this is something we should get involved in. I liked how he used his son as a center piece for the whole video, how he wanted to make a better world for his son to live in. I thought it was awesome how he also took Jacob into his family almost making him apart of his son's life; you could tell he genuinely cared about Jacob. I agree with Cassie, when she says that there is no excuse not to spread the word and pass it on because there isn't one. Even if more than half the world's population doesn't have Facebook, the rest of us do and from there we need to spread it through word of mouth and with our actions. Let's stop Kony together. 2012
When I first saw this video, I was in complete shock. I thought, how could this be happening? How can we say "never again" about past events like The Holocaust and other previous genocides while horrible, tragic events like this are going on right now? I just think it's terrible that The United States hasn't taken this disgusting man out yet. Joseph Kony has taken more children in than Osama Bin Laden had killed while he was alive so why isn't the army taking immediate action on this? I have so many questions about this because I simply cannot understand why we as a country are not taking action. I know that the troops were sent in and then Kony changed his tactics, so why didn't they work harder and stop these killings, kidnappings, rapes, etc? Like Cassie said, "We have a moral obligation to stop this man and his radical group because of their inhumane decisions." I do understand that The United States has their own problems to deal with as of right now but I believe that none of these problems are as even close to as bad as this. Why should we be getting involved with other countries? Because we all believe that this is morally wrong and The United States should not just stand back and watch while thousands of these children are being killed. I truly believe that we ALL need to take a stand on this. The youth, the teeangers, the adults, the higher powers, the governemnt, we all need to come together and stop this man and his army before more children are so brutally murdered. We are all capable of doing something to help, spreading the word, donating to Tri, buying the kit. It is completley possible to change something that is happening in the world if we all just come together and try. As Samantha said, let's stop Kony together. 2012!
Right off the bat, I agree with Rachel when she asks herself, "How can this be happening?" As a country, we are supposed to be learning from history in order to keep it from repeating itself, right? I draw similarities between Joseph Kony and other infamous dictators in our world's history that we have tried to stop before. It is very surprising to me that it has taken the United States THIS long to speak out about what is going on in Uganda considering Kony has been abducting children and building his power for nearly 30 years. With the ease of social media, this video documentary had over 50 million hits within 72 hours of being released. This is an absolutely astounding amount; an amount that ensures that this subject will not go ignored. Even though our country is a an entire ocean apart from Uganda, the United States is a military powerhouse, and I am confident that with a little help from some allied countries, we can take out Joseph Kony. However, I believe the real question is: What are we supposed to do with the thousands of orphan children who won't have means of surviving on their own? Before we spring into action to take out Kony, it is important that we have a plan of action for helping the people of Uganda and the neighboring countries that Joseph Kony has negatively affected. This is one of the most inspiring short films I have ever seen, and I hope that people do more to help this cause than like the link on facebook and forget about it, however, the simple act of liking it is what spread the word so quickly. Now that the world knows about it, all we need is a plan!
My immediate reaction to this video was how can this be happening and people not knowing about it? I believe the 72 million other people that saw this video most likely had this reaction as well. I believe Kaitlyn poses a very strong question when she says, "I believe the real question is: What are we supposed to do with the thousands of orphan children who won't have means of surviving on their own?" She is absolutely right, the big problem of Joseph Kony will be gone, but what is to happen to all of the children that were hit hard by this atrocity. As we saw in the film in Dick Millers class, in one of the villages where children were safe from the LRA, a 13 year old girl was the mother for her 3 younger siblings. In my opinion that is simply not ok, a 13 year old does not deserve to be the mother of 3, no matter what the circumstances are. I don't know about anyone else, but at 13 I don't believe anyone is ready to be a mother, a 13 year old should be in school and playing with their friends, not being a mother figure for 3 young children. With the Red Cross being involved in so many things, would it be their job to enter Uganda to rescue these children? or is the United States' sole job in this to help arrest Joseph Kony and leave? I don't believe that is the right thing to do, we need to better the lives of children in Uganda through some sort of group or something. KONY 2012
my first impression of this video was very upsetting to me because there and million and millions of people in this world and one guy oneeeee guy out there that is killing thousands of people. and here we are just watching a video and saying we are gonna make a change i think we should have a huge fund raiser for the kony 12 and but the bracelets and we all go to the April 20th night thing and all stand for this. i think this is very sad to think that right now kids are dying while we are trying to get help. There are many solutions to this problem but there's nothing we can do without the governments help. i dont like how we have to have permission to send troops to stop this massacre going on in uganda. i feel so bad about Josephs brother. that should give every single person in this world something to think about. what if one day they came and took your family and brothers or even sisters. you would want someone to help u get them back. but what if they said they cant do anything to help you. then you would feel what thousands of kids are going through right now as i am writing this. - Cody Harris
After watching the video, one is just reacting from the information on the video. Yes, there is this bad guy that we have to arrest this year. This is because he is some kind of Hitler (there is a clear reference about him on the video) that is abducting kids. To stop Kony, we need to make him famous, this means to “share” the video (which is as easy as clicking on a button). Also, its long duration (about 30 minutes) creates the feeling that we have just watched a documentary. Indeed, there is an objective that we need to reach. The problem is that nobody realizes what this video is “hiding”. If you start thinking about the content of what you’ve seen, there are lots of evidences of “propaganda” (if it is justified or not, that’s another different issue). Some examples are: - There are lots of kids: if the black children are not enough for the viewer, there is a white, blond and very cute one. - There is a “fight” between good and evil. - It ends claiming for action and giving a deadline (2012). - Use of modern language: teenagers feel identified with it and is easy to understand. - It gives clear instructions: share, donate.
Even with all of this, I’m NOT saying that Joseph Kony is a nice guy who has a justified objective for what he does. On the other hand, we should think about what we are hearing and watching. I agree with Jamie in the point that we should do something to stop Kony, but I don’t think only the USA have to be involved. Instead, the UN should take the responsibility.
Kony 2012 is a very inspiring video for anyone to watch. I did not notice the length of the video because you are so inspired and "sucked into it". I loved the way Jason Russell proceeded to explain what Joseph Kony was doing to the children in Uganda. I agree with Jamie with this statement, "I believe Jason Russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past 10 years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he meant in Uganda." Jason Russell is an inspiration and hero because he never gave his promise up to Jacob and is helping Uganda. With Jason Russell making this video it lets the whole world know what Joseph Kony is doing to all these innocent children in Uganda. I do think we NEED to get involved because if we have more people then it will be easier to get the word out about who and what Joseph Kony is doing. It will be hard to stop Joseph Kony but with many of us getting involved, then we can get awareness on this evil man who is hurting many innocent children. I think we need to get involved to stop Joseph Kony! KONY 2012!!
My first time watching the video, my heart felt like it was twisted in a knot. I still do not understand how someone could go and do that to the children in the middle of the night. With that being said, as Rachel has put it, "How can we say "never again" about past events like The Holocaust and other previous genocides while horrible, tragic events like this are going on right now?" and I agree with that statement. Does this mean that the "never again" statement after the Holocaust is a complete lie and that humanity will never learn from its mistakes and try to correct them? To be honest, I find this "Kony 2012" to be sickening. There are bigger things that are going on in Syria and no one is giving it any attention, or at least it is getting media attention, but no one is giving a rat's ass about the slaughter of Syrian people. I understand that he is a warlord that is enslaving thousands of children not necessarily in Uganda, but other countries also. Joseph Kony also has not been active in enslaving children for 6 years. Actually, he is not even active in Uganda, so why is this video focusing on Uganda? I just feel sick of all the KONY 2012 signs I see all day, and how people I meet think that they are the expert on the LRA and Joseph Kony when it is just ONE VIDEO they saw. Finally, I think that we need to get our facts straight before we become extremely active in following that organization, don't get me wrong it is nice seeing people getting active, but when they don't have their facts straight, it seems pointless. -Jacky Lim
This is a very moving video that makes me appreciate the life I live a lot more, watching this puts the thought in my head that I should be doing something about it because I cannot watch this man turn these kids into killers. I agree with Jamie when she says that Jason russell is a very great man who is determined to finish the promise he promised Jacob. Promises are promises and when someone makes a promise this serious it should be treated this important. Although I have heard a lot of people questioning where a certain amount of this money goes, I think we as a whole should research Kony 2012 a little more. Because this, if true and reliable, is something you cannot just pass up.
Sean Mitchell- The video Kony 2012 made by Jason Russell is an incredible video that has inspired me and millions of other people to help raise money and make Kony “visible”. Even though what Jason Russell is doing is for a good cause and Kony has done terrible things to the Ugandan people and should be stopped, I still believe that we should not get involved with this. First off I read an article that said Kony is not in Uganda and hasn’t been there for 6 years, so why get involved if Kony hasn’t been an issue for 6 years. A Ugandan soldier said to a CNN reporter about is opinion on the Kony video saying “Nice message…15 years too late.” I agree with this statement that the Kony video was well put together and a good idea to help Uganda but unfortunately it was made a little too late. If we were to get involved I feel the best way is to help train then Ugandan soldiers and show them how to use modern technology so that they are prepared if Kony were to ever come back.
Like many others have said, I was shocked when I learned how long Kony has been doing such terrible things and no one heard anything about it. Many children are being forced to kill others in exchange for their life, even though it is the last thing they want to do. Like Peter and Kaitlyn said, once we have captured or killed Kony, what happens to all of the orphaned children? There are already so many children living on their own because their parents and family members were killed by the LRA. Most of the countries affected by Kony don't have the resources to get these children the help they need to get their life back to something similar to what it used to be. Part of the difficulty with getting involved in situations like this is finding a way to deal with all of the after math of getting rid of Kony. I think this plays a large role in the governments hesitance to get involved. Once Kony is gone there will be a lot of pressure on them to try and help resolve the mess he has created over the many years. The problems don't end for these people when Kony is gone. I don't think any of these things should stop us from doing something, but it should encourage people to continue to send support to not just Uganda but the other countries Kony has affected.
Great conversations. I like how there are many points being made here around the validity of the source and how it raises awareness. I like the Anonymous video and is this a form of propaganda as well like Guilermo and Jacky point out? I also like how Emmy, Maloney and others look to getting involved but is this foundation the right one to get involved with? I am wondering if we should do our own digging. Dig deeper and I will give you +10 pts on this assignment
Like Rachel and Cassie said, this is awful to actually see. Kony is so much worse than Bin Laden and yet we can't find him. Osama doesn't even compare to Kony, he is the number one most wanted person in the whole world. This video is so lugubrious to watch because the US isn't doing anything to help since it doesn't involve what we're doing. Kidnapping, raping, and killing isn't bad enough?! It's odd to know that he has been doing this for twenty years and this video just made us all cognizant of what's going on in Africa. The video we watched in Dick Millers room about the kid soldiers was just a little tip of the iceburg of what they do and that was already making me start to tear up. 2012 should be the year where we find him and make him more famous about what he does to kids our age or younger. We have the technology to find him, the US just needs to realize that its morally wrong to do what Kony has been doing for twenty plus years. 30,000 kids can't escape him alone and it's everyone in the worlds job to find the most natorious man. This is the year that we will find Kony and have the kid soldiers forget the past. This will be the year that will change the rest of the future.
This film took my breath away, I thought it was amazing how this one guy nine ten years ago made that boy a single promise and fought to do everything to accomplish it. It reminds me a lot of the pay it forward actions, where you tell one person and it spreads down the chain. I agree with most everything that was stated in the video, action needs to be done world wide. I honestly had no idea who Kony was until it was being talked about on facebook and at school. That is just astonishing in my eyes, how we focus so much on the war in iraq or what happened in our back yard we forget how many other horrific things are going on in the world outside our country. I do think there are some senarios where international help is not the answer, but for Kony 2012 i do believe it is. I think i would participate in this, its a few dollars a month and to help people who could really use it. The inspirational speeches and the fact that teenagers in the united states are staking out, making protests, calling representatives and making a big deal out of this gets the attention of the nations leaders. I do believe that a youth has more power than an adult when it comes to a situation like that, but its the unexpected. I know i will participating because i believe kony should be arrested for his acts of injustice.
First off I would like to say that yes Joseph Kony is a terrible person that needs to be brought to justice, but with that I must question why is it that we just decide to bring him to justice now after he's been committing these crimes for 20 plus years now? I agree that he has committed atrocious crimes to humanity, his biggest one being kidnapping children and making them soldiers and having them kill their parents and other people that resist the LRA or Lords Resistance Army. With that I feel that by making the Joseph Kony story viral and trying to make him famous could fuel his fire and give more attention towards him causing him to kill more innocent people which is the complete opposite on what the world wants. So as much as I believe that we should bring him into the light I feel like this is a topic you have to be very careful with, if you give him to much attention it fuels his fire to do more harm and if you don't recognize who he is it allows him to continue what he's been doing for years without anyone knowing. So with that said if you stay neutral on him and don't turn a blind eye towards him it could eventually give us enough time to evaluate this situation and hopefully bring this man to justice. With all this stated I do not believe that we should get involved in a way that we send military forces to Uganda to capture Kony, but I do believe we should be involved in which we are informed about who he is and what he has done. We should send small forces (Ex. small force of soldiers or even the UN.) to Uganda to train Ugandan forces to bring Kony to the light and create a better society within Uganda knowing that they do not have to fear being abducted or murdered by this man. On a final note I believe that this video was well put and very informative but I still feel that if this video came out years earlier there may have been different opinions on what we should do to deal with the Kony situation. In the end nothing can change the fact that Joseph Kony is and awful person that needs to be brought to justice, but we must first find a way to capture him so that we can create a better society.
This video was incredibly moving and touching. Like my peers, my thoughts during this video were "What should I do to help?" Being aware of the issue is one thing but taking it to the next level and advocating the issue is another. I liked the way the video displayed the different ways to stay active on this issue. I am amazed and proud that thousands of people have stepped up to the plate and stayed active on this issue. I agree with Jamie, Jacob is a hero. It is so brave of him to tell his story to the world and stand up for what is right. Not alot of people are brave enough to do that. Kony needs to be stopped. He has hurt too many people and doesn't deserve to continue. He actions are atrocious and cruel. I think as a class, we should do our part to stop this awful man. Its our responsibility as humans to stop these abductions.
The Kony 2012 video was inspirational and moving to say the least. The video left me with an overwhelming desire to be involved with ending this war criminal’s reign. As global citizens, it is our duty to be involved in these type of actions for our pursuit of a better world. Courtney is right when she states: “Its our responsibility as humans to stop these abductions”. While we all are bound to different cultures, language, and countries; we are all human so we therefore have a duty to each other. Making sure that the United State's is involved in capturing Kony and bringing him to justice needs to be a priority and his name must be everywhere. The United States has so much power for change and involving ourselves with this project will be proof of that. I believe that when our voices are heard by the government and Kony is finally captured that we are on the path to a better world for all. If the people succeed, then the people will recognize the capability we have to change the world. The video showed what happens when the world does nothing. The holocausts and genocides that could have been prevented should motivate us to never turn a blind eye again. Eliminating Kony as a further threat can be the world's first step towards that goal. Luis Moreno Ocamp says it all: “It's a new world...It's a global community, bigger than the US”. Forget what the government or others deem impossible because Invisible Children proved the impossible to be possible. I believe Kony can be the world's first step together towards a better world.
This video was very moving and had a significant impact on me as a viewer. I definately feel that it is something that the United States government and us as civilians should be involved with. It appears many issues such as this are overlooked and forgotten simply because they are occuring so far away. However, As horendous as these abductions are, there are pressing issues in other countries that require the same amount of attention so I do not feel this issue should distract people from other attrocities. In conclusion I know for sure that I will do what I can to help this cause.
Of course I believe we should get involved. This is a disgusting human being. He needs to be stopped. No matter what it takes. It's not fair to sit here and "turn a blind eye" to this when he does awful things to children. Children who live in fear everyday of their lives and do not feel safe all because their parents are dead and are separated from their siblings or their siblings are dead too. I believe our military and us, the United States citizens, should do whatever we can. Not just post it all over Facebook to "show awareness". That's just getting the word out. There is so much more we can do. In the video the director of the documentary showed a clip of actors and how it was stated that these awful human beings should be as famous as celebrities.So maybe instead of reading about Lindsey Lohan's new plastic surgery or the worst dressed on the red carpet we can share what matters in the world and actually get to understand the background of these horrible events and learn what we can do to stop these people. Especially Kony. I have to agree with Jaime when she says "the video showed what happens when the world does nothing". This is so true, our own government that so many people believe are here to help, turned away from the situation. Anyone should get involved. Not just these organizations or the government, but schools and students. Kony needs to be stopped, what he is doing to all those innocent people is most awful thing I have ever seen or heard of in my life.
This really depends on how much you would like to donate to the Rwanda military for trying to stop this horrible act. However I think that this is only a big deal because someone took the time to make a thirty minute video about an injustice and how you can help out. In this case the audience seems to be targeted toward younger generations who always go on YouTube, Facebook, etc. What seems weird to me is that now that everybody knows about this particular situation they suddenly want to do something to help people in Africa. It is amazing marketing. Even though our close neighbor Mexico is dealing with drug lords slaughtering people to take over the country, Americans don’t seem to care. The problem in Mexico has been going on for a few years; all you had to do was pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and you would understand the urgency of the problem. So why is this suddenly a big deal when a crazed African man named Kony is doing terrible things that can be considered to be as bad as what’s happening within Mexico? Using social media to highlight a cause appears to be a powerful tool to spotlight and advertise issues in the world that should be stopped. Now that everyone now knows about Kony from social media, the chances are much greater that people will actually rally to do something about it. Imagine what might have happened if the world had social media back in WW2 when Hitler was just coming into power.
Kony 2012 is an amazing video that inspires people to make changes in our world. As soon as I watched this video I wanted to make a difference and help. The only thing that bothers me is how everyone is just focusing on Uganda. Yes Kony may have started using child soldiers and child prostitution in Uganda but this has spread through out Africa. So I stress that you don't need to just help take down Kony to make a difference, we also have to help after we arrest him and take care of those affected all around Africa. Using facebook and twitter is a great way to spread news about Kony and that's why this has gotten so big, exposing this to our youth is key to getting this done as fast as possible. Of course once something blows up like this people are obviously going to doubt it and check to see how legit it is. This reminds me of when Wyclef Jean set up the Yele organization for the Haitian earthquake. Many people thought it was a scam and the money wasn't actually going to those affected. My advice is this: Never believe everything you hear, and especially when you're donating your own money ALWAYS check the organization that your donating to. Make sure it's legit and you have enough information about them to feel comfortable sending your money. It's your money so you need to be responsible enough to take the time and make sure you're spending it how you like. I took a look at the Anonymous video posted by Anonymous. The first thing i noticed was that the Kony 2012 looks more believable than this one. Second the video states that Kony has been dead since 2000 and that charges on him have been dropped. If this is the case then why does Africa still have a tremendous problem with child soldiers twelve years later? why do we still have an International warrant for Kony's arrest twelve years later? If he is dead, why has no one found/seen his body to verify his death? Also there is speculation about Kony 2012 not have cited sources but the anonymous video also has no sources. Kony 2012 I believe is made to be more legit because atleast they are backed up by an Organization versus a fake youtube video that could be a random guy voicing his oppinion.
After watching the kony2012 movie i felt compelled to be a part of this movement to bring justice. I also read responses to the video and it seemed like everyone agreed that somthing had to be done to stop Joseph Kony. I can see why the United States government we hesitent to get involved in this situation. In the past issues like this have tried to be resolved in US intervention but ended up terribly. Not to mention Kony isn't the only terrorist in the world causing problems on a large scale. However Jospeh Kony is the number one most wanted terrorist in the world and I beleive taking him down would be a good starting point. I also feel that keeping these 100 United States military advisors wouldn't be very costly. As for those who are upset with the invisible children foundation because they arn't a nonprofit orginization stop being ridiculous. When has a nonprofit orginization ever accomplished anything. Not to mention this man who started this orginization has dedicated his life to it and if he received no money for his work he would be broke and on the streets. this orginization may not be the best way but at least it adresses the problem at hand and poses a solution. Besides I dont think anyone whos heard of joseph kony disagrees with the fact he needs to be stopped. -Jake Kittredge
Kony 2012 is a very aspiring video. Before watching it i had no idea what the big deal was, but now i feel that this is something more serious and that it's something that everyone should keep in the back of their minds. I agree with Courtney Hopp in this sense that this video was moving and touching. I wish it was as easy as going over to Africa and stopping it myself, but clearly that can't happen. Although there are other terrible events occuring in the U.S. i feel that this is something that the U.S. should be involved with. Every little bit helps and we need to do whatever we can to stop this disaster from getting bigger!
This video is one of the most powerful video out there today. As much i want to take part, each day more infomation comes out saying that only 31% of the money that you donate only goes to the program. But besides that, I do think we should take part. The LRA's intentions were not good and it needs to stop. The video has over 77 million views, which im sure it's getting awareness. But I dont think we should get super invloved because the last thing America needs is another war. Us Americans are done with war, we all want it to stop. Thank you to Jason Russell for making this video. Before that video was made, no one knew about, but now people want to take charge and stop Kony.
The video created on behalf of the Kony crisis is indeed very moving. But in my opinion everyone interpreted it in the wrong way. It was intended to bring awareness and it served its purpose in doing that, but int sort of turned into a current "trend" of some sort. All over facebook people are changing profile pictures and making fan groups left and right trying to bring Kony down. And that's really sweet, but inevitably won't amount to anything. If, in a month, it came out that some guy in Australia was keeping children hostage we would jump on that and that would be the latest thing. Don't get me wrong, I do think we should do something about Kony and I do think we need to act on this before he becomes powerful again, but funneling all of our attention, money, time, and effort into him all at once is a very poor mistake. If we want to find him we should be doing it discreetly rather than causing all of this commotion. I personally don't think we should be basing our opinions off of one movie, or even the movie that Ryleigh showed the group today. The girl speaking in the second video brought up very good points but I think we shouldn't base our decisions off of videos. I agree with all of the people above who said it was "moving and inspiring" because it was, the movie was very well done. But I just feel it isn't something we should put all of our time and effort into, it seems to be just another trend that no one is really taking any action on. But again, that's just my opinion.
After watching the Kony video, I was truly inspired by the events and stories that were told. I think that the reason that this video was such a hit, was because of how easy they made it to get involved. With laziness plaguing the nation, the only way you will get anybody to do something is to make it very easy and simple, and the producers of this video did just that. I also think that the idea of covering the night is an appealing thing to a lot of teenagers, who make up the majority of the supporters. Cover the night seems like a really fun way to accomplish this task of spreading the word about Kony. I am not sure about how effective it will be however, due to the way that it is structured. Cover the night is only effective if every body does it, and the posters are put up everywhere for the people to see. If only a few posters are put up the wow factor is diminished. Overall i think that this is an extremely powerful video, with an amazing perpouse, and I am excited to participate, and see how cover the night works out.
I still have no idea about this. Many people told me different story about him and it made no sense. I think he is real whether he already die or not. His behavior is unacceptable. "Kony 2012" is a very powerful video. It make me think of how bad people can be to make them feel powerful. I feel bad for Ugandan. My English teacher in Thailand is from Uganda. He told me that Kony is true but hes not sure if he still alive.
I agree with Denny when he says that before watching this video he thought the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda; mostly because I had never even heard of this man until now. This video amazed me, and I think it’s interesting how now with new forms of technology we are able to do this, to get America to unite against Kony by using the internet. Years ago, something like this never would have been possible. But now because of this we may be able to stop Kony! I do think that it is something that we should get involved in. He isn’t fighting for a reason, and it needs to stop somehow, and it’s an issue that most people agree on. Also he is dangerous, but not dangerous like we are fighting against an entire country dangerous. Lots of people in Uganda would be grateful for our interference and it would unlikely start a huge long war. I do want to point out, though, that Kony is most certainly not the only guy doing this type of thing. He is one of the biggest and he should be stopped, but there are quite a few people almost as bad as him and it would be impossible to stop all of them. This is no reason not to interfere, but I’m wondering, if we’re going to try to stop Kony, should we be trying to stop all of them? If not, then why him and not the others? -abbi
I believe that the helping the children of uganda is important. i also believe that this was a very nicely made video that did a good job of attracting the audience and showing them what is going on. however, i feel that the undited states does not have any bussiness in helping in the matter as a country. that does not mean that they should have to fend for themselves but instead help should come from groups like peace core and other non- profit organizations and thata people should be able to donate to the group of there choice to help. I agree with jackie when he says that there are more important things that our government can be concerned with such as syria. i believe that is people want to make donations and do what they can to help with the kony situation that is great more power to you but the united states government has more important thing on there plate that more directly relate to us and protecting our country.
When I first saw the Invisible Children video, I was deeply saddened for the victims of Kony and the LRA, but I also questioned how and why the global community could allow something like this to continue for so long. Then I began to wonder why all the sudden this video came up. As Courtney Hopp said, my immediate response was asking myself how i could help and what I should do. But, even after watching the video, I didn't feel like I knew enough about the events in Uganda and about Kony himself to make any donations to Invisible Children. After watching the Anonymous video in class, I felt validated and glad that I did not donate to Invisible Children. When watching both videos, it is important to keep in mind that both have a bias and a specific agenda. Both are forms of propaganda. The truth of the matter most likely is somewhere in between both stories. Kony did commit war crimes, but how many years ago? Is he still doing it? Invisible Children does recieve a profit off of these campaigns, but is that so abnormal? These are some of the questions viewers have in mind after watching both videos. However, there is one known truth, without watching any videos. The effects of Kony and the LRA, whether currently active or inactive, still exist in Uganda and surrounding countries. If nothing else, this is a problem that can be helped. All of the orphans, families, and community members effected by the LRA still have emotional or physical damage. As global citizens, I think it would be important to have our own fundraiser to create care packages for these families and communities in need. Or, we should research a non-profit community that we can donate to. There are many questions left unanswered. There are questions like, "what happened to the survivors?" or, "what happened to the communitites?" These are the questions that we can, and should answer by putting forward an effort to fundraise and advocate relief for Uganda and other countries in need.
Kony 2012 is remarkable the stories of horrific acts made by joseph Kony are finally realized. No one should be held victum to such horrible acts such as these. the world needs to come together and stand as one agesnt Kony. it is so amazing how just a few people got national atention about this topic. It is so great that people didnt give up the fight agenst joseph kony. it might have taken years for this all to develope but now that it has this will change peoples lives in the future. we need to stop kony. the U.S needs to send more to help out if we get involved we need to go full boar at this situation to catch kony as fast as possible so no more horrble acts are attempted again. by cameron crook
The Kony 2012 film is remarkable and inspiring to any viewer. I believe Jason Russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past 10 years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he meant in Uganda. The Kony 2012 is a film about making the American government care enough to stop a man named Joseph Kony. Joseph is the leader of an organization in Uganda named the L.R.A. This organization abducts children and either forces them to become slaves or sex slaves. He is also listed as the number one international criminal on the ICC list. This man, for over twenty years, has manipulated his power and it is time, 2012, for his cruelty to end. I believe that the people and government of the United States should become involved in this issue. This war is an issue we should take control and finish because, at the end, we as a country believe children deserve a childhood and happiness. Joseph has also been going on far too long with his inhumane ways, all while keeping them a secret. We, not only as citizens as a powerhouse country but also as human beings, should find this issue big enough to care about and stop. I feel saddened and angered that his man has been able to walk around, hurting children and using him for his benefit because countries, like America, did not think it was a big enough use to involve ourselves in. But it has come the time for the world to come together and stop these actions. We as human beings need to find it in our hearts to keep humanity and save the future of children. BY: JAMIE WALLISCH
ReplyDeleteBY:DENNY DESSUREAULT
ReplyDeleteKony 2012 is an astonishing video and really changed my perspective on how i thought of my own life. I know appreciate more of all of the little thigns that i have over here in peaceful America. I agree with Jamie when she says that " I believe jason russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past ten years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he met in Uganda." This video is all about a very dangerous man whose name is Joseph Kony. He is the leader of the LRA and this organization abducts children and forces them to do awful things to there loved ones and random people who have done nothing wrong. Before watching this video i thought that the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda. But afterwards it made me want to learn more. I began to research more and more about Kony and learned many gruesome and heartless things this man has done and has made people do. I now believe that this should be a high priority for the US to get involved with and we need to get Kony into custody. It is very confusing to me that us Americans can just live our day to day good lives, without trying to make a change for someone that is less fortunate than us especailly in this situation. Children are being murdered and forced to do nasty things and we are just watching. We should get involved and stop this crazy man Kony.
WOW..just wow. It discourages me that this has been going on for so long and this video is the first time I have become aware of the details. I agree with Denny when he wrote, “Before watching this video I thought the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda.” For the most part I have an isolationist mindset but this video has made me rethink ignoring and staying out of other countries business. We have a moral obligation to stop this man and his radical group because of their inhumane decisions. The director’s goal in this video is to make the public as well as influential political figures aware of the malicious and violent acts Joseph Kony is performing half way around the world. The video does a phenomenal job at tugging at our heartstrings and gives us a way to help. It is easy. It is simple and there is no excuse for not spreading the world. On facebook this video has blown up and it made me realize that I can help and spread the word from just sitting at my computer so why not? This is a great example of how one can use modern technology productively to help others that may not have the ability to help themselves. –Cassie Farley
ReplyDeleteThis isn't the first time i've seen the KONY2012 video. I think that Kony should be taken care of in any manor necessary due to his inhumane crimes. I also think it is significant how Jacob can deal with all the pressure he has been put through due to Kony.Kony must be stopped and his actions must be put to an end.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to sitting down and watching a half hour long video, but now that I have, wow. I can not believe the amazing awareness this one guy has spread, but he didn't do it alone. I absolutely think this is something we should get involved in. I liked how he used his son as a center piece for the whole video, how he wanted to make a better world for his son to live in. I thought it was awesome how he also took Jacob into his family almost making him apart of his son's life; you could tell he genuinely cared about Jacob. I agree with Cassie, when she says that there is no excuse not to spread the word and pass it on because there isn't one. Even if more than half the world's population doesn't have Facebook, the rest of us do and from there we need to spread it through word of mouth and with our actions. Let's stop Kony together. 2012
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw this video, I was in complete shock. I thought, how could this be happening? How can we say "never again" about past events like The Holocaust and other previous genocides while horrible, tragic events like this are going on right now? I just think it's terrible that The United States hasn't taken this disgusting man out yet. Joseph Kony has taken more children in than Osama Bin Laden had killed while he was alive so why isn't the army taking immediate action on this? I have so many questions about this because I simply cannot understand why we as a country are not taking action. I know that the troops were sent in and then Kony changed his tactics, so why didn't they work harder and stop these killings, kidnappings, rapes, etc? Like Cassie said, "We have a moral obligation to stop this man and his radical group because of their inhumane decisions." I do understand that The United States has their own problems to deal with as of right now but I believe that none of these problems are as even close to as bad as this. Why should we be getting involved with other countries? Because we all believe that this is morally wrong and The United States should not just stand back and watch while thousands of these children are being killed. I truly believe that we ALL need to take a stand on this. The youth, the teeangers, the adults, the higher powers, the governemnt, we all need to come together and stop this man and his army before more children are so brutally murdered. We are all capable of doing something to help, spreading the word, donating to Tri, buying the kit. It is completley possible to change something that is happening in the world if we all just come together and try. As Samantha said, let's stop Kony together. 2012!
ReplyDeleteRight off the bat, I agree with Rachel when she asks herself, "How can this be happening?" As a country, we are supposed to be learning from history in order to keep it from repeating itself, right? I draw similarities between Joseph Kony and other infamous dictators in our world's history that we have tried to stop before. It is very surprising to me that it has taken the United States THIS long to speak out about what is going on in Uganda considering Kony has been abducting children and building his power for nearly 30 years. With the ease of social media, this video documentary had over 50 million hits within 72 hours of being released. This is an absolutely astounding amount; an amount that ensures that this subject will not go ignored. Even though our country is a an entire ocean apart from Uganda, the United States is a military powerhouse, and I am confident that with a little help from some allied countries, we can take out Joseph Kony. However, I believe the real question is: What are we supposed to do with the thousands of orphan children who won't have means of surviving on their own? Before we spring into action to take out Kony, it is important that we have a plan of action for helping the people of Uganda and the neighboring countries that Joseph Kony has negatively affected. This is one of the most inspiring short films I have ever seen, and I hope that people do more to help this cause than like the link on facebook and forget about it, however, the simple act of liking it is what spread the word so quickly. Now that the world knows about it, all we need is a plan!
ReplyDeleteMy immediate reaction to this video was how can this be happening and people not knowing about it? I believe the 72 million other people that saw this video most likely had this reaction as well. I believe Kaitlyn poses a very strong question when she says, "I believe the real question is: What are we supposed to do with the thousands of orphan children who won't have means of surviving on their own?" She is absolutely right, the big problem of Joseph Kony will be gone, but what is to happen to all of the children that were hit hard by this atrocity. As we saw in the film in Dick Millers class, in one of the villages where children were safe from the LRA, a 13 year old girl was the mother for her 3 younger siblings. In my opinion that is simply not ok, a 13 year old does not deserve to be the mother of 3, no matter what the circumstances are. I don't know about anyone else, but at 13 I don't believe anyone is ready to be a mother, a 13 year old should be in school and playing with their friends, not being a mother figure for 3 young children. With the Red Cross being involved in so many things, would it be their job to enter Uganda to rescue these children? or is the United States' sole job in this to help arrest Joseph Kony and leave? I don't believe that is the right thing to do, we need to better the lives of children in Uganda through some sort of group or something. KONY 2012
ReplyDelete-P.B
my first impression of this video was very upsetting to me because there and million and millions of people in this world and one guy oneeeee guy out there that is killing thousands of people. and here we are just watching a video and saying we are gonna make a change i think we should have a huge fund raiser for the kony 12 and but the bracelets and we all go to the April 20th night thing and all stand for this. i think this is very sad to think that right now kids are dying while we are trying to get help. There are many solutions to this problem but there's nothing we can do without the governments help. i dont like how we have to have permission to send troops to stop this massacre going on in uganda. i feel so bad about Josephs brother. that should give every single person in this world something to think about. what if one day they came and took your family and brothers or even sisters. you would want someone to help u get them back. but what if they said they cant do anything to help you. then you would feel what thousands of kids are going through right now as i am writing this.
ReplyDelete- Cody Harris
A good response Cody. I like your ideas here and there is a real opportunity for us to make a difference. IF this is something you want to do.
DeleteAfter watching the video, one is just reacting from the information on the video. Yes, there is this bad guy that we have to arrest this year. This is because he is some kind of Hitler (there is a clear reference about him on the video) that is abducting kids. To stop Kony, we need to make him famous, this means to “share” the video (which is as easy as clicking on a button). Also, its long duration (about 30 minutes) creates the feeling that we have just watched a documentary. Indeed, there is an objective that we need to reach. The problem is that nobody realizes what this video is “hiding”.
ReplyDeleteIf you start thinking about the content of what you’ve seen, there are lots of evidences of “propaganda” (if it is justified or not, that’s another different issue). Some examples are:
- There are lots of kids: if the black children are not enough for the viewer, there is a white, blond and very cute one.
- There is a “fight” between good and evil.
- It ends claiming for action and giving a deadline (2012).
- Use of modern language: teenagers feel identified with it and is easy to understand.
- It gives clear instructions: share, donate.
Even with all of this, I’m NOT saying that Joseph Kony is a nice guy who has a justified objective for what he does. On the other hand, we should think about what we are hearing and watching. I agree with Jamie in the point that we should do something to stop Kony, but I don’t think only the USA have to be involved. Instead, the UN should take the responsibility.
Kony 2012 is a very inspiring video for anyone to watch. I did not notice the length of the video because you are so inspired and "sucked into it". I loved the way Jason Russell proceeded to explain what Joseph Kony was doing to the children in Uganda. I agree with Jamie with this statement, "I believe Jason Russell is a hero in all aspects from all the work he has done, over the past 10 years, and dedication to keep a promise to a boy, Jacob, he meant in Uganda." Jason Russell is an inspiration and hero because he never gave his promise up to Jacob and is helping Uganda. With Jason Russell making this video it lets the whole world know what Joseph Kony is doing to all these innocent children in Uganda. I do think we NEED to get involved because if we have more people then it will be easier to get the word out about who and what Joseph Kony is doing. It will be hard to stop Joseph Kony but with many of us getting involved, then we can get awareness on this evil man who is hurting many innocent children. I think we need to get involved to stop Joseph Kony! KONY 2012!!
ReplyDeleteMy first time watching the video, my heart felt like it was twisted in a knot. I still do not understand how someone could go and do that to the children in the middle of the night. With that being said, as Rachel has put it, "How can we say "never again" about past events like The Holocaust and other previous genocides while horrible, tragic events like this are going on right now?" and I agree with that statement. Does this mean that the "never again" statement after the Holocaust is a complete lie and that humanity will never learn from its mistakes and try to correct them? To be honest, I find this "Kony 2012" to be sickening. There are bigger things that are going on in Syria and no one is giving it any attention, or at least it is getting media attention, but no one is giving a rat's ass about the slaughter of Syrian people. I understand that he is a warlord that is enslaving thousands of children not necessarily in Uganda, but other countries also. Joseph Kony also has not been active in enslaving children for 6 years. Actually, he is not even active in Uganda, so why is this video focusing on Uganda? I just feel sick of all the KONY 2012 signs I see all day, and how people I meet think that they are the expert on the LRA and Joseph Kony when it is just ONE VIDEO they saw. Finally, I think that we need to get our facts straight before we become extremely active in following that organization, don't get me wrong it is nice seeing people getting active, but when they don't have their facts straight, it seems pointless. -Jacky Lim
ReplyDeleteThis is a very moving video that makes me appreciate the life I live a lot more, watching this puts the thought in my head that I should be doing something about it because I cannot watch this man turn these kids into killers. I agree with Jamie when she says that Jason russell is a very great man who is determined to finish the promise he promised Jacob. Promises are promises and when someone makes a promise this serious it should be treated this important. Although I have heard a lot of people questioning where a certain amount of this money goes, I think we as a whole should research Kony 2012 a little more. Because this, if true and reliable, is something you cannot just pass up.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5NJGsnJEz4&feature=related
ReplyDeleteI found this video. I don't know if it is true or not, but please check it out and see for yourself.
Sean Mitchell-
ReplyDeleteThe video Kony 2012 made by Jason Russell is an incredible video that has inspired me and millions of other people to help raise money and make Kony “visible”. Even though what Jason Russell is doing is for a good cause and Kony has done terrible things to the Ugandan people and should be stopped, I still believe that we should not get involved with this. First off I read an article that said Kony is not in Uganda and hasn’t been there for 6 years, so why get involved if Kony hasn’t been an issue for 6 years. A Ugandan soldier said to a CNN reporter about is opinion on the Kony video saying “Nice message…15 years too late.” I agree with this statement that the Kony video was well put together and a good idea to help Uganda but unfortunately it was made a little too late. If we were to get involved I feel the best way is to help train then Ugandan soldiers and show them how to use modern technology so that they are prepared if Kony were to ever come back.
Like many others have said, I was shocked when I learned how long Kony has been doing such terrible things and no one heard anything about it. Many children are being forced to kill others in exchange for their life, even though it is the last thing they want to do. Like Peter and Kaitlyn said, once we have captured or killed Kony, what happens to all of the orphaned children? There are already so many children living on their own because their parents and family members were killed by the LRA. Most of the countries affected by Kony don't have the resources to get these children the help they need to get their life back to something similar to what it used to be. Part of the difficulty with getting involved in situations like this is finding a way to deal with all of the after math of getting rid of Kony. I think this plays a large role in the governments hesitance to get involved. Once Kony is gone there will be a lot of pressure on them to try and help resolve the mess he has created over the many years. The problems don't end for these people when Kony is gone. I don't think any of these things should stop us from doing something, but it should encourage people to continue to send support to not just Uganda but the other countries Kony has affected.
ReplyDelete-Emy Ezequelle
Great conversations. I like how there are many points being made here around the validity of the source and how it raises awareness. I like the Anonymous video and is this a form of propaganda as well like Guilermo and Jacky point out? I also like how Emmy, Maloney and others look to getting involved but is this foundation the right one to get involved with? I am wondering if we should do our own digging. Dig deeper and I will give you +10 pts on this assignment
ReplyDeleteLike Rachel and Cassie said, this is awful to actually see. Kony is so much worse than Bin Laden and yet we can't find him. Osama doesn't even compare to Kony, he is the number one most wanted person in the whole world. This video is so lugubrious to watch because the US isn't doing anything to help since it doesn't involve what we're doing. Kidnapping, raping, and killing isn't bad enough?! It's odd to know that he has been doing this for twenty years and this video just made us all cognizant of what's going on in Africa. The video we watched in Dick Millers room about the kid soldiers was just a little tip of the iceburg of what they do and that was already making me start to tear up. 2012 should be the year where we find him and make him more famous about what he does to kids our age or younger. We have the technology to find him, the US just needs to realize that its morally wrong to do what Kony has been doing for twenty plus years. 30,000 kids can't escape him alone and it's everyone in the worlds job to find the most natorious man. This is the year that we will find Kony and have the kid soldiers forget the past. This will be the year that will change the rest of the future.
ReplyDelete-Quinn Bauld
This film took my breath away, I thought it was amazing how this one guy nine ten years ago made that boy a single promise and fought to do everything to accomplish it. It reminds me a lot of the pay it forward actions, where you tell one person and it spreads down the chain. I agree with most everything that was stated in the video, action needs to be done world wide. I honestly had no idea who Kony was until it was being talked about on facebook and at school. That is just astonishing in my eyes, how we focus so much on the war in iraq or what happened in our back yard we forget how many other horrific things are going on in the world outside our country. I do think there are some senarios where international help is not the answer, but for Kony 2012 i do believe it is. I think i would participate in this, its a few dollars a month and to help people who could really use it. The inspirational speeches and the fact that teenagers in the united states are staking out, making protests, calling representatives and making a big deal out of this gets the attention of the nations leaders. I do believe that a youth has more power than an adult when it comes to a situation like that, but its the unexpected. I know i will participating because i believe kony should be arrested for his acts of injustice.
ReplyDelete-tori ross
First off I would like to say that yes Joseph Kony is a terrible person that needs to be brought to justice, but with that I must question why is it that we just decide to bring him to justice now after he's been committing these crimes for 20 plus years now? I agree that he has committed atrocious crimes to humanity, his biggest one being kidnapping children and making them soldiers and having them kill their parents and other people that resist the LRA or Lords Resistance Army. With that I feel that by making the Joseph Kony story viral and trying to make him famous could fuel his fire and give more attention towards him causing him to kill more innocent people which is the complete opposite on what the world wants. So as much as I believe that we should bring him into the light I feel like this is a topic you have to be very careful with, if you give him to much attention it fuels his fire to do more harm and if you don't recognize who he is it allows him to continue what he's been doing for years without anyone knowing. So with that said if you stay neutral on him and don't turn a blind eye towards him it could eventually give us enough time to evaluate this situation and hopefully bring this man to justice. With all this stated I do not believe that we should get involved in a way that we send military forces to Uganda to capture Kony, but I do believe we should be involved in which we are informed about who he is and what he has done. We should send small forces (Ex. small force of soldiers or even the UN.) to Uganda to train Ugandan forces to bring Kony to the light and create a better society within Uganda knowing that they do not have to fear being abducted or murdered by this man. On a final note I believe that this video was well put and very informative but I still feel that if this video came out years earlier there may have been different opinions on what we should do to deal with the Kony situation. In the end nothing can change the fact that Joseph Kony is and awful person that needs to be brought to justice, but we must first find a way to capture him so that we can create a better society.
ReplyDelete-Kevin D'Auteuil
This video was incredibly moving and touching. Like my peers, my thoughts during this video were "What should I do to help?" Being aware of the issue is one thing but taking it to the next level and advocating the issue is another. I liked the way the video displayed the different ways to stay active on this issue. I am amazed and proud that thousands of people have stepped up to the plate and stayed active on this issue. I agree with Jamie, Jacob is a hero. It is so brave of him to tell his story to the world and stand up for what is right. Not alot of people are brave enough to do that. Kony needs to be stopped. He has hurt too many people and doesn't deserve to continue. He actions are atrocious and cruel. I think as a class, we should do our part to stop this awful man. Its our responsibility as humans to stop these abductions.
ReplyDeleteThe Kony 2012 video was inspirational and moving to say the least. The video left me with an overwhelming desire to be involved with ending this war criminal’s reign. As global citizens, it is our duty to be involved in these type of actions for our pursuit of a better world. Courtney is right when she states: “Its our responsibility as humans to stop these abductions”. While we all are bound to different cultures, language, and countries; we are all human so we therefore have a duty to each other. Making sure that the United State's is involved in capturing Kony and bringing him to justice needs to be a priority and his name must be everywhere. The United States has so much power for change and involving ourselves with this project will be proof of that. I believe that when our voices are heard by the government and Kony is finally captured that we are on the path to a better world for all. If the people succeed, then the people will recognize the capability we have to change the world. The video showed what happens when the world does nothing. The holocausts and genocides that could have been prevented should motivate us to never turn a blind eye again. Eliminating Kony as a further threat can be the world's first step towards that goal. Luis Moreno Ocamp says it all: “It's a new world...It's a global community, bigger than the US”. Forget what the government or others deem impossible because Invisible Children proved the impossible to be possible. I believe Kony can be the world's first step together towards a better world.
ReplyDeleteThis video was very moving and had a significant impact on me as a viewer. I definately feel that it is something that the United States government and us as civilians should be involved with. It appears many issues such as this are overlooked and forgotten simply because they are occuring so far away. However, As horendous as these abductions are, there are pressing issues in other countries that require the same amount of attention so I do not feel this issue should distract people from other attrocities. In conclusion I know for sure that I will do what I can to help this cause.
ReplyDelete-Tommy Rives
Of course I believe we should get involved. This is a disgusting human being. He needs to be stopped. No matter what it takes. It's not fair to sit here and "turn a blind eye" to this when he does awful things to children. Children who live in fear everyday of their lives and do not feel safe all because their parents are dead and are separated from their siblings or their siblings are dead too. I believe our military and us, the United States citizens, should do whatever we can. Not just post it all over Facebook to "show awareness". That's just getting the word out. There is so much more we can do. In the video the director of the documentary showed a clip of actors and how it was stated that these awful human beings should be as famous as celebrities.So maybe instead of reading about Lindsey Lohan's new plastic surgery or the worst dressed on the red carpet we can share what matters in the world and actually get to understand the background of these horrible events and learn what we can do to stop these people. Especially Kony. I have to agree with Jaime when she says "the video showed what happens when the world does nothing". This is so true, our own government that so many people believe are here to help, turned away from the situation. Anyone should get involved. Not just these organizations or the government, but schools and students. Kony needs to be stopped, what he is doing to all those innocent people is most awful thing I have ever seen or heard of in my life.
ReplyDeleteThis really depends on how much you would like to donate to the Rwanda military for trying to stop this horrible act. However I think that this is only a big deal because someone took the time to make a thirty minute video about an injustice and how you can help out. In this case the audience seems to be targeted toward younger generations who always go on YouTube, Facebook, etc. What seems weird to me is that now that everybody knows about this particular situation they suddenly want to do something to help people in Africa. It is amazing marketing. Even though our close neighbor Mexico is dealing with drug lords slaughtering people to take over the country, Americans don’t seem to care. The problem in Mexico has been going on for a few years; all you had to do was pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and you would understand the urgency of the problem. So why is this suddenly a big deal when a crazed African man named Kony is doing terrible things that can be considered to be as bad as what’s happening within Mexico? Using social media to highlight a cause appears to be a powerful tool to spotlight and advertise issues in the world that should be stopped. Now that everyone now knows about Kony from social media, the chances are much greater that people will actually rally to do something about it. Imagine what might have happened if the world had social media back in WW2 when Hitler was just coming into power.
ReplyDeleteSorry ment Uganda NOT Rwanda!In my post.
DeleteKony 2012 is an amazing video that inspires people to make changes in our world. As soon as I watched this video I wanted to make a difference and help. The only thing that bothers me is how everyone is just focusing on Uganda. Yes Kony may have started using child soldiers and child prostitution in Uganda but this has spread through out Africa. So I stress that you don't need to just help take down Kony to make a difference, we also have to help after we arrest him and take care of those affected all around Africa. Using facebook and twitter is a great way to spread news about Kony and that's why this has gotten so big, exposing this to our youth is key to getting this done as fast as possible. Of course once something blows up like this people are obviously going to doubt it and check to see how legit it is. This reminds me of when Wyclef Jean set up the Yele organization for the Haitian earthquake. Many people thought it was a scam and the money wasn't actually going to those affected. My advice is this: Never believe everything you hear, and especially when you're donating your own money ALWAYS check the organization that your donating to. Make sure it's legit and you have enough information about them to feel comfortable sending your money. It's your money so you need to be responsible enough to take the time and make sure you're spending it how you like.
ReplyDeleteI took a look at the Anonymous video posted by Anonymous. The first thing i noticed was that the Kony 2012 looks more believable than this one. Second the video states that Kony has been dead since 2000 and that charges on him have been dropped. If this is the case then why does Africa still have a tremendous problem with child soldiers twelve years later? why do we still have an International warrant for Kony's arrest twelve years later? If he is dead, why has no one found/seen his body to verify his death? Also there is speculation about Kony 2012 not have cited sources but the anonymous video also has no sources. Kony 2012 I believe is made to be more legit because atleast they are backed up by an Organization versus a fake youtube video that could be a random guy voicing his oppinion.
^Dimitri Elias^
DeleteAfter watching the kony2012 movie i felt compelled to be a part of this movement to bring justice. I also read responses to the video and it seemed like everyone agreed that somthing had to be done to stop Joseph Kony. I can see why the United States government we hesitent to get involved in this situation. In the past issues like this have tried to be resolved in US intervention but ended up terribly. Not to mention Kony isn't the only terrorist in the world causing problems on a large scale. However Jospeh Kony is the number one most wanted terrorist in the world and I beleive taking him down would be a good starting point. I also feel that keeping these 100 United States military advisors wouldn't be very costly. As for those who are upset with the invisible children foundation because they arn't a nonprofit orginization stop being ridiculous. When has a nonprofit orginization ever accomplished anything. Not to mention this man who started this orginization has dedicated his life to it and if he received no money for his work he would be broke and on the streets. this orginization may not be the best way but at least it adresses the problem at hand and poses a solution. Besides I dont think anyone whos heard of joseph kony disagrees with the fact he needs to be stopped.
ReplyDelete-Jake Kittredge
Kony 2012 is a very aspiring video. Before watching it i had no idea what the big deal was, but now i feel that this is something more serious and that it's something that everyone should keep in the back of their minds. I agree with Courtney Hopp in this sense that this video was moving and touching. I wish it was as easy as going over to Africa and stopping it myself, but clearly that can't happen. Although there are other terrible events occuring in the U.S. i feel that this is something that the U.S. should be involved with. Every little bit helps and we need to do whatever we can to stop this disaster from getting bigger!
ReplyDeleteThis video is one of the most powerful video out there today. As much i want to take part, each day more infomation comes out saying that only 31% of the money that you donate only goes to the program. But besides that, I do think we should take part. The LRA's intentions were not good and it needs to stop. The video has over 77 million views, which im sure it's getting awareness. But I dont think we should get super invloved because the last thing America needs is another war. Us Americans are done with war, we all want it to stop. Thank you to Jason Russell for making this video. Before that video was made, no one knew about, but now people want to take charge and stop Kony.
ReplyDelete- Dominic D
The video created on behalf of the Kony crisis is indeed very moving. But in my opinion everyone interpreted it in the wrong way. It was intended to bring awareness and it served its purpose in doing that, but int sort of turned into a current "trend" of some sort. All over facebook people are changing profile pictures and making fan groups left and right trying to bring Kony down. And that's really sweet, but inevitably won't amount to anything. If, in a month, it came out that some guy in Australia was keeping children hostage we would jump on that and that would be the latest thing. Don't get me wrong, I do think we should do something about Kony and I do think we need to act on this before he becomes powerful again, but funneling all of our attention, money, time, and effort into him all at once is a very poor mistake. If we want to find him we should be doing it discreetly rather than causing all of this commotion. I personally don't think we should be basing our opinions off of one movie, or even the movie that Ryleigh showed the group today. The girl speaking in the second video brought up very good points but I think we shouldn't base our decisions off of videos. I agree with all of the people above who said it was "moving and inspiring" because it was, the movie was very well done. But I just feel it isn't something we should put all of our time and effort into, it seems to be just another trend that no one is really taking any action on. But again, that's just my opinion.
ReplyDeleteBy: Julianne Hilton
but it sort of turned*
DeleteAfter watching the Kony video, I was truly inspired by the events and stories that were told. I think that the reason that this video was such a hit, was because of how easy they made it to get involved. With laziness plaguing the nation, the only way you will get anybody to do something is to make it very easy and simple, and the producers of this video did just that. I also think that the idea of covering the night is an appealing thing to a lot of teenagers, who make up the majority of the supporters. Cover the night seems like a really fun way to accomplish this task of spreading the word about Kony. I am not sure about how effective it will be however, due to the way that it is structured. Cover the night is only effective if every body does it, and the posters are put up everywhere for the people to see. If only a few posters are put up the wow factor is diminished. Overall i think that this is an extremely powerful video, with an amazing perpouse, and I am excited to participate, and see how cover the night works out.
ReplyDeleteI still have no idea about this. Many people told me different story about him and it made no sense. I think he is real whether he already die or not. His behavior is unacceptable. "Kony 2012" is a very powerful video. It make me think of how bad people can be to make them feel powerful. I feel bad for Ugandan. My English teacher in Thailand is from Uganda. He told me that Kony is true but hes not sure if he still alive.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Denny when he says that before watching this video he thought the US should not get involved with what is going on in Uganda; mostly because I had never even heard of this man until now. This video amazed me, and I think it’s interesting how now with new forms of technology we are able to do this, to get America to unite against Kony by using the internet. Years ago, something like this never would have been possible. But now because of this we may be able to stop Kony! I do think that it is something that we should get involved in. He isn’t fighting for a reason, and it needs to stop somehow, and it’s an issue that most people agree on. Also he is dangerous, but not dangerous like we are fighting against an entire country dangerous. Lots of people in Uganda would be grateful for our interference and it would unlikely start a huge long war. I do want to point out, though, that Kony is most certainly not the only guy doing this type of thing. He is one of the biggest and he should be stopped, but there are quite a few people almost as bad as him and it would be impossible to stop all of them. This is no reason not to interfere, but I’m wondering, if we’re going to try to stop Kony, should we be trying to stop all of them? If not, then why him and not the others?
ReplyDelete-abbi
I believe that the helping the children of uganda is important. i also believe that this was a very nicely made video that did a good job of attracting the audience and showing them what is going on. however, i feel that the undited states does not have any bussiness in helping in the matter as a country. that does not mean that they should have to fend for themselves but instead help should come from groups like peace core and other non- profit organizations and thata people should be able to donate to the group of there choice to help. I agree with jackie when he says that there are more important things that our government can be concerned with such as syria. i believe that is people want to make donations and do what they can to help with the kony situation that is great more power to you but the united states government has more important thing on there plate that more directly relate to us and protecting our country.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw the Invisible Children video, I was deeply saddened for the victims of Kony and the LRA, but I also questioned how and why the global community could allow something like this to continue for so long. Then I began to wonder why all the sudden this video came up. As Courtney Hopp said, my immediate response was asking myself how i could help and what I should do. But, even after watching the video, I didn't feel like I knew enough about the events in Uganda and about Kony himself to make any donations to Invisible Children. After watching the Anonymous video in class, I felt validated and glad that I did not donate to Invisible Children. When watching both videos, it is important to keep in mind that both have a bias and a specific agenda. Both are forms of propaganda. The truth of the matter most likely is somewhere in between both stories. Kony did commit war crimes, but how many years ago? Is he still doing it? Invisible Children does recieve a profit off of these campaigns, but is that so abnormal? These are some of the questions viewers have in mind after watching both videos. However, there is one known truth, without watching any videos. The effects of Kony and the LRA, whether currently active or inactive, still exist in Uganda and surrounding countries. If nothing else, this is a problem that can be helped. All of the orphans, families, and community members effected by the LRA still have emotional or physical damage. As global citizens, I think it would be important to have our own fundraiser to create care packages for these families and communities in need. Or, we should research a non-profit community that we can donate to. There are many questions left unanswered. There are questions like, "what happened to the survivors?" or, "what happened to the communitites?" These are the questions that we can, and should answer by putting forward an effort to fundraise and advocate relief for Uganda and other countries in need.
ReplyDelete-Vicki Glavin
Kony 2012 is remarkable the stories of horrific acts made by joseph Kony are finally realized. No one should be held victum to such horrible acts such as these. the world needs to come together and stand as one agesnt Kony. it is so amazing how just a few people got national atention about this topic. It is so great that people didnt give up the fight agenst joseph kony. it might have taken years for this all to develope but now that it has this will change peoples lives in the future. we need to stop kony. the U.S needs to send more to help out if we get involved we need to go full boar at this situation to catch kony as fast as possible so no more horrble acts are attempted again.
ReplyDeleteby cameron crook