![]() |
| photo from the daily beast |
Associate Press : Iran has made allegations that the US was behind an assassination of an atomic scientist. Do you think that we had a role in this? If so, do you think that this is the new type of "warfare" that Obama has been discussing? If not, why do you think Iran would blame this on the US?

I've been commenting on the Iran articles for the past two weeks, so why not make it 3/3? They way I see this issue is why wouldn't Iran blame this on the U.S, Great Britain or Isreal? We have been the cause of their problems and the reason that they want to build Nuclear weapons in the first place. Weather we actually were behind it or not, I have no idea; Washington has the power to do some very criminal things. And even if we were not the ones behind it, who is to say we did not help in even the slightest way. I hope that the United States did not help in this killing though, because if we did, and Iran does indeed have nuclear weapons, it is safe to say that we could have some dirty bombs heading our way. But it is in my senses that the United States is smarter than to publicly kill Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, one of Iran's top nuclear scientists. I believe Iran would blame this on the United States because we have been very adamant in our talks with Iran about their nuclear activity as of late. Iran also has many other problems with the United States, seeing we are not best buddies with Iran, which is another reason that Iran may have blamed this on the United States. In the article it states, “The West believes Iran is building nuclear weapons. Iran denies that.” How can Iran deny these allagations when there are pictures of them shooting rockets into the ocean? But my question is would the United States truly go to this extreme of measures to stop Iran's nuclear activity?
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Peter. Iran has every right to put the United States at blame for the murder of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, it's not like we are buddy, buddy with them at all. It's been a competition with them since the beginning, especially with all the nuclear weapons. To us, them having any sort of nuclear weapons could be a danger to us, which it is. We're not on good terms with the other so we are always going to be neck and neck to be number one when it comes to weapons, and that does mean we would have to take out each other's best "source." Killing one of the officials in the nuclear facility would put us a step ahead of them once again, a step we need so we cannot be harmed by them. But again, I agree with Peter when he says that the U.S. is smarter than publicly killing this man. Publicly killing him would just be a stupid move and could cause an all out war once again. I can believe why Iran wants to blame us, especially with us trying to get in the way of their nuclear plans in the first place, but I don't believe we could stoop so low as to killing the scientists apart of the team. It is when they claim that they are not building the nuclear weapons, though there is photographic proof of them shooting them off, where we get a little antsy and step in. But, I do not believe we were apart of this murder.
ReplyDeleteInteresting article we have right here. I think Petey Ballgame has it down pretty well. I agree with him on Iran blaming us for this problem because we have been a problem to them before. If something bad happened to me, I would look first to the people that despise me the most. He's also right that Washington has a lot of power and is capable of a lot of things. However, I don't believe we were behind this. Call me overly patriotic but I'm looking at one line from the article. "Israel has not commented publicly." Shouldn't that point the most fingers towards them? We came out and said it wasn't us, Great Britain did the same. That just leaves Israel and if they had nothing to hide, why wouldn't they say they didn't do it. I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't do their fair share of dirty tricks but I see this one as Israel's work because they chose not to publicly comment. Also, Iran is looking for more reasons to continue their nuclear experimentation so in a way they may be happy this happened.
ReplyDeleteI agree with peter when he says that the Iranians are right to suspect the U.S Great Britain and Israel in the assassination of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan because he was a leading atomic scientist, and the article states that, “The West believes Iran is building nuclear weapons. Iran denies that.” It is obvious that Iran is experimenting with nuclear weapons because we have seen a picture of Iran shooting a nuclear weapon. I agree with Lenny when he says to point the fingers at Israel because Israel hasn’t made a public comment on it and that Iran had stated that they want to wipe Israel from the face of the Earth.
ReplyDeleteEverytime when something bad happens in Iran they are going to blame the first Western countries, especially USA, of doing that. Iran´s coverment wants that the Iranians would have a reason to hate Western countries and that way to get their support for nuclear procject. But I am not saying that they would kill their own poeple for that. I don´t know was USA, the Great Britain or Isreal behind this attack, but the Iran´s coverment gets this looks like someone is trying to sabotage their work. There has been lots of discussion on whether Iran has permission for nuclear weapons and many country is against their project. Like Lenny said that if you don´t have anything to hide, why wouldn´t you deny your involvement? Does this mean that Isreal has something to do with this? Perhaps, but they will never admit it.
ReplyDeleteGood ideas people. This is a tough article because there is a lot of speculation. I will give 40 pts to whomever finds an article and links it for furthering the discussion with even more current articles and questions!
ReplyDeleteAT
I completly agree with Peter and Lindsey in the sense that Iran has every reason to blame the US for the murder of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan. Like Lindsey said we are competing with the countries across the world all the time to create nuclear weapons. Why not destroy someone who could take away our power? Especially from a country who we are fighting with. Obviously, Iran has every right to point fingers at the US. But I dont think that US would do something like this because it would be too obvious coming from us. I agree with Lenny when he said "Call me overly patriotic but I'm looking at one line from the article. "Israel has not commented publicly." It is so true, why hasn't Israel just come out and said we didnt do it. This just draws negative attention to their country. I found an interesting article posted on January 14th. Iran continues to blame the US and says, Iran has "evidence and reliable information" that the CIA provided "guidance, support and planning" to assassins "directly involved" in Roshan's killing. My question is what evidence do they have? Is Irans nuclear program meant for peaceful purposes only? The assassination has the people outraged and I wonder what Iran will do in response to this.
ReplyDeleteHere is the link to the website I found: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/iran-claims-us-behind-nuclear-scientist-mostafa-ahmadi-roshan-death_n_1206246.html
I also found the same article as courtney its an article about how Iran beleives the United States CIA is behind the assassination of their nuclear scientist Mostafa Ahmadi. In the article, the IRNA state news agency said Saturday that Iran's Foreign Ministry has sent a diplomatic letter to the U.S. saying that it has "evidence and reliable information" that the CIA provided "guidance, support and planning" to assassins "directly involved" in Roshan's killing. The US denies any assistance or part in the killing of this scientist. I find it hard to beleive Iran intill they present this so called "evidence". So i would have to agree with what everyone else is saying. Which would be that Iran is blaiming the US because the United States has been causing them trouble. I also found another article, this one is by William Maclean the link is posted below.
ReplyDeletehttp://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/18/analysis-not-so-covert-iran-war-buys-west-time-raises-tension/
By Jake Kittredge
I agree with jake. Iran is just trying to blaim the assassion on us because we are standing up to them. If Iran does have the evidence on this event why dont they just provide us with the facts? The U.S and Iran have been going back and forth on the subject of nuclear weapons for quit some time. Now more countries are getting invovld and voicing there opions. For all we know it could be anyone of those countries. So for Iran to single the U.S out, and bleim it on us is kind of suspisious. By Cameron Crook
ReplyDelete-Kevin D'Auteuil
ReplyDeleteI agree with Peter, I can see why Iran would turn to us for a blame on the assassination of one of their top nuclear scientists Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan. I do however do not think that the United States is responsible for the hit but I believe Israel took action as a warning. As we know right now, no one truly knows who took the action besides for possibly the Governments in the United States an Israel. I do feel that this could have been a good action and a very bad action taken. It's good that it shows that people do not approve of what Iran has been doing and it will slow their progress towards a nuclear program. It's bad in the way that after this assassination it makes Iran more likely to attempt an attack on Israel or the United States. We might not ever know who was the instigator for this action but we will know that many actions take place behind closed doors that we are unaware of. By this I mean that Governments hide facts from us like this one, no one might ever own up to this event and it will only raise suspicion on who did this and in Iran it might raise questions on what they can do in return for this event. As much as it was a good idea, it was a real bad idea to pull an action like this especially at a time where major tensions are rising in Iran.
I saw a news story on CNN about this same time last week and it intrigued me then. I found it very interesting how, in the video clip that was showed, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta made it explicitly clear that the United States had absolutely nothing to do with the killing of the nuclear scientist. He had said it with much emphasis at least twice, making a bit harder to believe each time. When I went to look up the news clip a few days later, I had also found the article that goes along with it; http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/world/meast/iran-scientist-killed/index.html. I would advise those of you that are truly interested in this story to take a look at it and the points that it brings up. I personally feel as though I should believe in what our government is telling us and that in fact, the United States had absolutely nothing to do with this mans assassination but I find that very difficult to believe. Then again, who can you trust if you can't trust the very people that run your government and control your own safety? I completely agree with Peter, however when he says "We have been the cause of their problems and the reason that they want to build Nuclear weapons in the first place. Weather we actually were behind it or not, I have no idea; Washington has the power to do some very criminal things." I find it almost appalling and sickening to believe that our own country could have been the driving factor behind this poor scientist's death but it would also make quite a bit of sense if it was true. We have caused many problems for Iran and they seem to be building these weapons in response to that and now somebody is killing the masterminds behind these killing machines; it can't be a coincidence. It just seems to good to be true for the United States. However, I feel that by killing just one or even just three scientists, it is like shutting down a building of gas chambers during the Holocost; if they don't one scientist to do the job, I am sure that they can find another one that will work just as well.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the article I don’t really buy that the U.S. had a role in assassinating Iran’s nuclear scientist. This is because I don’t believe we have enough influence in Iran today. Nor do I believe that we are close enough to other Arab countries to work with us in aiding us to commit an assassination. I do think that this assassination actually happened. However Iran is certainly using this event as propaganda in saying that the U.S. is responsible. From the article it doesn’t seem that there is much evidence that the U.S. was actually involved. However the idea of Obama’s new type of “warfare” is interesting. The idea that the U.S. would resort to assassinating nuclear scientists in order to slow down Iran’s nuclear research is kind of extreme.
ReplyDeleteAt the moment, no one really knows who is to blame for Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan's death, however there is a clear opportunity here for Iran to further damage the U.S.'s reputation by turning the entire event into anti-Western propaganda, primarily because it is unclear where their accusations come from. There were several strangely ironic statements made by the Iranian government in the article I found (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/9006610/Iranian-nuclear-scientist-killed-in-Tehran-bomb-attack.html). The first was the governor of the Tehran province Safar Ali-Bratloo's comment about the nature of this "attack". He said that "the method of this terrorist action is similar to previous actions that targeted Iranian scientists". The statement itself is not particularly relevant, but it is surprising and almost hypocritical that he refers to this as a "terrorist action" because Iran supports terrorist action, specifically through their clear support for organizations such as Hezbollah and Hammas. Their strong reaction - in which they made it clear that they were going to push forward with their nuclear program, could be a further projection of this propaganda - almost a way for them to gain further support in standing up against Western powers. Vice president Mohammed Reza Rahimi said "They [Israel and the United States] should know that Iranian scientists are more determined that ever in striding towards Iran's progress", almost like a rally call for all Iranian citizens (and on a broader scale, all the Middle Easterners that support Iran) to stand up against the Western powers, who are made out to be the 'bad guys'. The progress that Western powers are trying to make in bringing democracy and stability to the Middle East is thwarted by events such as this one. This is not necessarily to say all news coverage around this event is propaganda - however it does provide a suspiciously easy way for the Iranian government to continue to degrade the opinions of the West among its citizens and the rest of the Middle East, further drawing out any progress being made in that region.
ReplyDeleteJake Kennedy
ReplyDeleteI do not believe the US had any thing to do with this assassination for many reasons. One I do not think it is significant enough for the US to take the risk of starting beef with another country. Also I think that Iran is immediately looking to put the blame on the US because of problems that have occurred in the past between these countries. I see Israel being the number one suspect here because unlike the US and great Brittan they did not openly say it was not us who was involved in the assassination of Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan. I think this makes them look very suspicious. I know the US has been conducting a lot of secret operations lately like the Bin Ladin assassination and rescuing those POW’s, but I don’t think the US would go to such lengths to kill a scientist. However I agree with peter when he says that the obvious finger Isreal would point would be at the US. I do not believe that the US took part in this, but I do however believe that the people who did had the intentions of slowing the nuclear production in Isreal