Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pink Fatigue?   An Existential Conundrum.  Are we too much into Breast Cancer?   



In this short radio discussion from NPR, have we gon overboard with Pink and breast cancer.  Do you agree or disagree with what is said regarding awareness vs. treatments?  What should we be spending more of our time on?          Do you know they make pink guns for fundraising?   Ironic.                                        

23 comments:

  1. When Adam asked, “have we gone overboard with the pink for breast cancer?” my immediate thought was yes. Listening to this took it a step further. There is absolutely Pink everything! Pink teddy bears, pink bandanas, pink lip balm, t-shirts, even guns! I’m getting sick of writing the word “pink” and I just started! Seeing all these different things available is starting to get overwhelming and just plain freaky. Wouldn’t you be a little overwhelmed even if your favorite color was pink? Plus, you know the color has gone overboard when a breast cancer patient says, “I’m not afraid of dying, but I’m afraid of dying with a bright pink teddy bear under my arm.” You also know it’s bad when the patient knows about what we’re raising the money for. Yes, most of the money is going in for treatments or to find a cure, yatta, yatta, but some of these treatments are actually bad. Some these treatments are dangerous and some can raise the patients date of death even closer. So what are we really raising money for, new and better treatments, or the same treatments which just keep killing? And what about the money? There are so many things now that are pink because of breast cancer. Does the money spent on those items go towards breast cancer awareness? It depends. You have to figure out if the company is actually working with breast cancer, because some people abuse the ribbon and the color. It’s important to read the fine print. Also, some of these “pink” items that are selling now, even with the money problem, these products could be dangerous to health issues already. Some of these items can cause a health problem or even cause breast cancer. So, pink has taken over. I’m all for fundraising, and all for awareness. Lets save lives, but maybe toning it down would actually give meaning back into the color and what we are raising the money for. Breast cancer is a huge issue, the number two killer in women, so let’s try to stop it, but put some boundaries on how much is too much. Let’s try and focus on what this disease is and how we can stop it. I completely agree with the last woman to speak when she said instead of the Susan B. Colman’s line of “Join the Fight” that it should be “Dig Deeper” because we should. Gain this knowledge and be a part of the fight, but put some boundaries around too much and too little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I cannot really make up my mind on this topic. The question here is very hard to answer, because if one says that there is too much pink, we automatically think they are against the cause and the awareness we are so greatly trying to expose for Breast Cancer. I am not against this awareness but nor am I for it and I'm sure that makes no sense, but let me explain. I am completely for awareness of Breast Cancer. It is the number 2 leading cause of death in women, so why not raise awareness for it? Sure, have mile walks and raise money, sure buy a bracelet and raise money, sure make it apparent that this disease is killing thousands and thousands of people and we need to act upon it. But where does that barrier cross where too much awareness undermines the real hope for why we are doing all of this. Companies are taking advantage of the cause. Companies are making money for the cause but what is it really going towards? We should be working on treatments, not just more awareness. Yes, we all know that Breast Cancer is horrible and how many lives have been terribly touched by this awful disease but do we really know how bad treatments are? How painful they are to the person suffering? This money being raised for Breast Cancer absolutely NEEDS to go towards finding new treatments and possibly a cure. Yes, I believe, if the money being raised is going towards that very suggestion, then I am all for it, but if the money being raised does not go towards that very suggestion, then enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of wearing or buying something "Pink", I think of supporting the thousands that are affected by this disease not necessarily the money. I agree with the article when it says, "She believes that people definitely associate pink with breast cancer, but says the branding has probably oversimplified the disease." It definitely has simplified the disease a bit and we should "Dig Deeper" as Lindsey said but I agree with Rachel when she says that if the money isn't going to find a better way to cure it then "enough is enough." Also I was aware that they made pink guns for fundraising, my drivers ED teacher, Sonya, has one. I believe that one of the points to the Susan G. Komen Foundation is to show support for the women and men for that matter who are affected by this disease. When I buy or wear something associated with the "Pink" breast cancer awareness, I think about the support I'm showing for the many affected not the money I've contributed to the cause. Sure, I want my money to be given to finding a cure, but if not at least I know I'm showing someone I care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true that as a society we are “pink-washing the problem?” Breast cancer is the second most common form of cancer that kills women. To combat this killer, the color pink has been adopted by most breast cancer awareness groups, and all sorts of products are made to promote breast cancer awareness: pink socks, pink cleats, t-shirts, bracelets, and even pistol grips. Are these products really enabling breast cancer research and public awareness, though? The money from these products goes towards cancer research. Some the treatments that are created end up killing the patient, so is it really worth killing fighting cancer patients by trying to promote awareness? I believe that we have gone overboard with associating pink and breast cancer. Due to the large amounts of publicity breast cancer gets, many other forms of cancer are unnoticed by the public. Of course, other cancers have their associated colors but they aren’t as prevalent and well known as pink. I think it is fine to promote and work towards finding treatments and cures that will benefit patients, not harm them. I also think we could more fairly distribute work and money towards promoting the awareness of and helping to cure other types of cancer. This is why “pink-washing the problem,” is true and not an overstatement. We sell all these products and raise all this money, yet some of the treatments kill the patients. People lose sight of the real reason of wearing pink and supporting breast cancer awareness and it becomes a popular fad and that is why we are “pink washing the problem.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having awareness for breast cancer is amazing. Breast cancer is the number 2 leading cause of death for women. There are so many things that have been made to bring awareness to the disease. There are t-shirts, shorts, shoes, teddy bears, guns, and so much more. The only problem with having so much pink stuff is that people tend to forget the meaning of all of it. People should be able to look at all the pink and remember what it means without even thinking. Another problem with so much stuff is that as costumers we don’t always know where our money is going. We would like to hope that it is going to new research for cures and treatments, but it could be going to old treatments that could be killing more than saving more. I am happy to help fundraise or help show awareness, but companies and foundations need to tone down the pink. They need to bring back the meaning of the color and what it is standing for. We need to focus on how we can stop the disease from killing so many women instead of thinking of new ideas for new pink objects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having awareness for breast cancer is amazing. Breast cancer is the number 2 leading cause of death for women. There are so many things that have been made to bring awareness to the disease. There are t-shirts, shorts, shoes, teddy bears, guns, and so much more. The only problem with having so much pink stuff is that people tend to forget the meaning of all of it. People should be able to look at all the pink and remember what it means without even thinking. Another problem with so much stuff is that as costumers we don’t always know where our money is going. We would like to hope that it is going to new research for cures and treatments, but it could be going to old treatments that could be killing more than saving more. I am happy to help fundraise or help show awareness, but companies and foundations need to tone down the pink. They need to bring back the meaning of the color and what it is standing for. We need to focus on how we can stop the disease from killing so many women instead of thinking of new ideas for new pink objects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be completely honest I dont understand why a women with breast cancer wouldnt want the money to help cure her. My aunt has cancer and we just had a benefit to raise money for her. So to me this women upsets me. If a hunter want to buy a pink gun, let him. It goes to something worth fighting for. brandon m

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that it is great to try to raise awareness for breast cancer, but agree that the "pink" does sometimes go too far. People buy pink shirts or bracelets, or dye their hair pink during October, to show support for victims of the disease, but often don't really understand the depth of it. They do it because it seems like the right thing to do, but the true meaning is often lost. I agree that in some ways, we are almost glamorizing the disease, and accepting it as something to live with and overcome, instead of fighting harder to find a cure. We should be focusing our efforts more on trying to find an effective cure for breast cancer and other illnesses rather than continuing to raise awareness. It is a great thing to wear a pink shirt and show support for those suffering from this disease, but it is very important to really understand what people are going through, and what the final objective is.
    -Abigail A

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with both Rachel and Brandon on this one ladies and gentlemen. You cannot have too much pink. It's all for a good cause and yes it could be like a business but there is so much money going towards the cure. For instance, I am supporting breast cancer during October during this football season because my next door neighbor and another very close family friend has breast cancer. I know when I bought all my pink gear over 50% of the cost of the purchase went towards the research of breast cancer. So all of you who say its "too much pink" i'm sorry you arent in support for fighting a deadly cancer. You can never be too much into the research of breast cancer. Wearing my pink in the games I know for a fact people with breast cancer appreciate very much so, because the two people saw me. They were both very proud of me. So to sum it up, I like to make people happy and I like to support ones with this form of cancer and i would always love to donate money to the breast cancer awareness foundation while buying football gear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was listening to this radio telecast all I had in the back of my mind was Tyler's pink football gear. I know my baseball team threw some pink on this weekend and I know that we were all proud to wear it. I think it is great that so much support and money goes into breast cancer research, because like they said, it is the second biggest cancer killer of women in the United States. If we can fight to help find a cure for this cancer, then it is likely we can find a cure for the rest. And that would be amazing. But I can also see where @Lindsey is coming from when she thinks there is too much pink. My only opposition to there being to much pink is when are other life threatening diseases going to get some recognition? Alzheimer's is the first that comes to my mind, and I know for a fact that it is because I am directly affected by it. My grandmother was diagnosed 2 years ago and ever since she has slowly been losing her memory. I would love to see some money be put towards Alzheimer's, because unlike breast cancer, where you can do chemo therapy and have more time to talk to your loved one and spend real time with them, an Alzheimer's patient forgets things and forgets you. Overall though, the pink is a great thing, it's helping a great cause, which will hopefully save peoples lives in the future and help research on other cancers. Would anyone else like to see money be diversified though? And help something other than breast cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. After listening to the radio interview, I could not believe how much we advertise breast cancer yet where does the money go to? I barely hear about what research program it is going to or what has the money helped. When all we know it could be taken and used just for more advertisement. When the breast cancer surviver said " We are being pink-washed", I would have to agree. Our mind is being washed by the idea that is we advertise all this pink breast cancer awareness we are not resolving the real issue. Getting to find a cure for breast cancer. People who do these walks and runs for breast cancer should know where their money is going to. And I doubt any of them would want it to go more towards advertising then to help find a cure for their loved ones. So obviously the money should be going towards the research. Also like the author/breast cancer survivor said, she does not want to have a pink teddy bear next to her if she were to die. We should much rather find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, I completely agree with Rachel, when she said, "if one says that there is too much pink, we automatically think they are against the cause,". I find it difficult to support raising awareness, but I am all for finding new treatments. I think that the overarching goal of the color pink should be redirected from raising awareness to finding better treatments. Although many fundraisers do go towards finding a different cure, not enough money is allocated to that. Also, I can't help but worry about the other forms of cancer without colors, and awareness months, and slogans. Some other forms of cancer don't have as developed treatments, but they don't have as much funding either. According to the article, breast cancer is the second leading cancer killer of women. What about the first? And what about cancers that kill men as well? Where is the support for them? For that matter, what are they? Why is breast cancer so publicized when other forms of cancer out rank them as the leading killers? I think that the attention needs to be taken away from breast cancer, and put towards cancer in general, no matter what form it may take. In addition, if the money raised from the color pink was used more wisely, there would be more research on a new treatment for breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that pink might be overboard. As Lindsey said pink is everywhere and even if it is your favorite color you might be sick of it. But after thinking about it, how else would could people raise breast cancer awareness? As mentioned in the interview, when I see pink, I think of breast cancer. I am plenty aware of it and how it affects people. I personally know three magnificent people who are suffering and fighting the disease. It is hard for everybody involved but, if I am not mistaken, it has a rather high survivor rate. My Aunt's best friend, for example, has been in remission for about 15 years before she relapsed recently. Maybe my view on breast cancer has changed because of all the pink I see everywhere but for me, the pink, although supporting a great cause, takes away from other diseases, as Peter brought up. There are so many cancers out in this world, effecting so many people. All four of my grandparents have cancer, along with my uncle and none of them have breast cancer. What about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society? Why don't people wear green and orange to support them? Before my family was directly affected by the diseases I didn't even know what they were. Where is the awareness for that? My family hosts a benefit part every year (for the past two years) to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as well as Autism Awareness. We raise over 3000 dollars in just one day and we are just one family trying to support so many different causes. So, although I believe in Pink and everything that surrounds its message, I also believe that the attention should be shared to other issues in this world besides breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a neice of a breast cancer survivor I was frustrated by this interview. Rallies and Breast cancer walks are not put together just to raise money. They allow people effected by the horrid disease to get together and give eachother courage to fight. How can one expect a disease or problem this significant to be fixed without funding from some source. The only way people will be willing to donate their money and time would be through knowlege of where their money is going.Go pink! On the other hand Rachel brought up a good point about how companys are taking advantage of the consumer and do not donate a portion of the proceeds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer Maxwell said...
    I believe that the push for breast cancer awareness is a great thing but I also believe that the goal has been greatly separated from the actions that supposedly go towards the goals. For an example you go into the supper market and you see two different yogurts one is just yogurt, the other is the same yogurt but this one has a little breast cancer symbol on it. you may end up buying the one with the breast cancer symbol on it cause you get your yogurt and you believe that some percent of the profit that they made is going to raising awareness about breast cancer. Right ? Well that is only some times true you really have to check you the organizations the are taking the money. Another thing that I don’t understand is that if there is so much money going towards raising awareness about breast cancer then why isn’t it part of what is taught in schools I mean yes we have all heard about breast cancer, and even in our school dedicates an entire day to raise money for the cause but if you ask a lot of the kids how much they really knew about the actual disease most of them most likely may not able to tell you much. And that’s just cause its not in talked about in schools. There is also a huge miss reading about women that if she is diagnosed with breast cancer that automatically she is a very strong “worrier” women, that is not always true these still are going through an incredible hard time and the pink teddy bear is not the answer they need their friends and family and hope. I agree with Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Rachel on the fact that we don't know what the money is exactly going towards; and the points proving that our very strong. On the other hand, knowing people who have suffered with breast cancer and those who are in the process of being diagnosed with it; they have a great appreciation for just the effort other people put in to show the care and dedication it truly takes for someone with breast cancer. The walks and fundraisers are not always just for the money, but to show by ones action how much someone they truly love and care for the person suffering with the disease. I do agree that maybe the companies and advertisers should make the donators more aware of what their money is going towards, along with advertising the needs for the funds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Tyler and Brandon on this one. I feel that it is some what outrageous that a breast cancer survivor could say that the whole color pink as gone over board and that it is only for profit instead of for research for breast cancer. My aunt had breast cancer and it was an awful time for us because at the same time my little brother drew also had a form of cancer. My aunt is a survivor of this cancer which is great and we couldn't be any more greatful for that. To hear a survivor say that we have gone to far with the whole pink deal is kind of like a smack in the face to women that may have breast cancer or are recovering from it. Since it's October the breast cancer awareness month people have gone into a even bigger pink craze, for example just like Tyler said The NFL wears pink all month to support the research to find a cure for this disease, but every product bought that is pink 50% of that money goes to research for this disease to help find a cure. Therefore I do feel that this women's response to the "pink craze" is a little outrageous for a breast cancer survivor to say.

    -Kevin D'Auteuil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having personal experience with breast cancer in my family defiantly impacted my reaction to this. My auntie kathy suffered from breast cancer and lost her fight against it. It was a very hard time for our family. In my opinion i do not agree with the women who says that it is over-publicized. The pink ribbons, walks, food, stuffed animals and clothes are a very good way to help raise money for research. I remember my aunt saying when she was in the hospital that she wished that people knew more about it and that something like this was going on when she had it. So i am very in favor of the 'pink' methods. And i hope that they can soon find a cure <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely agree with Brandon and Tyler. I watched my grandmother slowly die from breast cancer and I can tell you that that is not something I would wish upon anyone else. Thanks to all of this fundraising and awareness I have also been able to watch someone very close to me go through chemo and survive. She now gets to watch her kids grow up due to how far we have come with research. I think that the willingness of people to show their support is largely due to the fact that so many people have been affected by it. A large amount of the products being sold donate a certain percentage of the profits to research, even if that percentage is very small, it still makes a difference. Two of the larger breast cancer foundations are Avon and Susan G. Koman, both of which donate all proceeds to research. I know many survivors that are proud to see all of the pink and thankful for it. I think people understand how truly devastating any kind of cancer is, so to say people don’t understand it at all isn't very accurate. It is insulting and hurtful to people fighting breast cancer to hear that it is being over done. This woman should be thanking all of this fundraising for her life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like Rachel, I am having an extremely hard time taking a side on this argument. After listening to the interview I was very shocked to hear what Barbara Ehrenreich, a breast cancer fighter had to say about the color pink. I was surprised by her comment, “the disease is not something we should ever decide we can live with as a society and turn into a growth experience.” I think that the efforts to spread awareness about this cancer so far have been tremendous and people have showed their kindness by supporting the color pink. Since pink is on many products, people in our nation are well aware of the cause. I think it is time that companies change the breast cancer awareness program. Like it suggested in the interview, “going deeper” is a great new way to look at breast cancer research and could be a stepping stone in finding a cure for the second most deadly cancer for women.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like many others, picking a side on this topic has been very difficult for me. As the article said breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in women in the united states. therefore, i do believe that making people aware of the disease is very important. all the pink is doing agreat job of this. as tyler and peter were saying about buying pink gear for there sports teams it shows people that they. and although i do believe that when selling something pink or with the pink ribbon on it a portion of the profit should go to finding a cure. showing your support for those fighting this terrible disease and showing those that love them that you care is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This question raises alot of emotions. When i first thought about the use of pink to support breast cancer I thought that their is no way we over do it. It is a very serious issue and it would be great if we could cure this horrible sickness. The radio broadcast told us its the second leading cause of death of women in the United States and I agree that we should make people aware of how bad it really is. While we get pink t-shirts and pink ribbons i think that other cancers should get some attention to. My Meme passed away 6 years ago from breast cancer so ofcourse I want the scientist to figure out a cure for it. With all of the money they are raising I think they should make less intense treatments for it. The radiation is terrible and makes the patients even weaker. It's a long tiring painfull experience. I never realized how bad everyone advertises for breast cancer untill i heard this radio broadcast. Companies use this to their advantage in my opinion. Also not all of them donate the ammount they say they will to the cancer society. In the end, curing cancer will take a long time and while we are finding the cures i believe we should calm down on the advertising for just breast cancer and show some love for other illnesses or cancers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Like most of the population these days, I have also been affected by breast cancer. It completely blew my mind when I heard the breast cancer fighter say that she thought breast cancer has been overpublicized. This is simply because I had always thought it was what they wanted. I wish I could ask her why in more detail because I am curious to see what her basis on feeling that way is. Is it a pride thing, or worse, a feeling of embarassment from all the attention?
    With breast cancer, along with many other forms, taking the lives of our loved ones, I find it difficult to not want to raise awareness, or "go pink." I do not see how this method of raising awareness, is different from a walk for cancer. In both cases the general public is joining together to both aid financially, and show their love and support to those suffering. In both, the key point is to raise awareness anyway you can. And I don't think that is a bad thing.

    - Tess Karlon

    ReplyDelete