I think its awful that the military is still opressing people even though Mubarak has already stepped down. The Eggptian government has been weakened by the fact that they no longer have a real leader, and I think this is the reason for the Police just randomly arresting people who have done nothing wrong besides disagree with laws made by the former leader of Egypt. The military should't just be allowed to do as they please and arrest civilians for no reason. America should step in to fight the military, and help those who are fighting for their freedom aquire the freedom that they have been working toward for months.
I was suprised when I read this article. I knew egypt was having a power struggle but I didn't realize that the military was fighting the people. It makes me mad to see that although egypt may have taken a step in the right direction, it is being taken another step back by violence. The military shouldn't be able to give unfair trials and arrest people. The system is very unjust. I don't think the US should get involved but the UN or a neighboring country should step in and try to help set up a government.
I agree with both of you. this is a horrible situation that Egypt has been put in, and i'm afraid that something similar might happen in Libya. the protesters called for their president to step down, without thinking of who would take his place. the military stepped in and started doing what they said the last president was doing. i agree with Samantha, that a new government should be put in place, but it should be left entirely up to the UN so that no country is also dragged into this horrible situation.
I am going to have to disagree with Beau and Samantha on the fact that the United States should not help Egypt. I do agree that what they are doing is extremely wrong though and that a form of government definitely needs to be established. In the article is says, “Far from shepherding Egypt to democracy, activists say, the military is governing according to decrees similar to those relied on by Mubarak.” I cannot believe after everything this country went through the military is beating, arresting, and putting people in jail for protesting their rights. In the article the author writes about two brothers who were arrested and tortured by their soldiers. One of them said, “I expected this to happen from thugs, not from the military,” he said. “I felt our revolution was done, finished, dead.” It confuses me cause at one moment the people thought that the military and the people were “one,” and now they are committing these awful acts and sending innocent people to jail. I believe the U.S. should do something to help protect these people or the UN should step in and help. I wouldn’t say our country would be “dragged in” to this situation, but if they continue to do this I believe we should help in any way possible.
In my opinion, something has to happen to solve these issues. If the army does not step down and return to peace, then this very well may be the fuel that the Muslim Brotherhood needs to take over. The army should not be doing this, especially as their are no indications that they are arresting any Islamic extremists. Despite the price, it would be in our interest to get involved. By helping the Egyptian people get fully free from a regime that we funded, then we will improve our standing in the Middle East, get the Brotherhood to back off, and more importantly, not get the Middle East engaged in a nuclear holocaust when Israel is attacked and they make use of their arsenal.
This current situation in Egypt is horrible, but not coming from left field. Though I do think it was necessary for the people to move towards democracy, it is not shocking that the military is acting this way. When power is up for grabs, someone is going to take it and possibly abuse it. Obviously the Egyptian people can't change what has already happened but it is imperitive that somehow they force the military to step down. Matty pointed out that the people were saying, “The army and the people are one.” just a little while ago but now they are fighting them. I think the Egyptians were so incredibly focused on getting rid of Mubarak that they didn't really have a plan for after. I don't think that the military was plotting to take over power but the opportunity arose. Because of all the chaos, things have become violent. I agree with Samantha that a new, stable government does need to be put in place but it is not the United States' job to do it. If we go in to fight the military as Zack suggested, we are going to be stuck until it is solved. We cannot do that then if need be later do the same for Libya. The US should send financial aid and supplies but it is not our place to set up their government for them. The Egyptians need to deal with the military because if they don't they are going to end up opressed and the country will be in an even worse state than it already is. The military is completely corrupt judging from the "trials" they have for the arrested civilians. Before the military is taken out, the people need a new government waiting so this doesn't all happen over again.
I think the army is so out of control that no end will come soon. I also don't believe an end to this oppression will come without the help of an outsider. I do not believe that this outside help should necessarily be the United States. We, as a nation, are already in a lot of world problems and we even have our own to worry about. I believe the US should take the same approach to Egypt as they did to Libya. This way we have a way out and are not stuck in a huge mess like past events. Also, I agree with Matty in being confused about how the military and the people and be one, while the other is oppressing the other and putting them in jail. I feel it is all a huge huge mess and anywhere that you look there will be corruption or betrayal. The question constantly lingers of when does it all end?
Like Ashley said, there will be no end to this oppression without the assistance of an outsider. I, too, do not believe that this aid should come from the United States. We do not want history to repeat itself, and we have learned from past events to not push our help where it is not wanted (Vietnam). Right now, the Egyptian military is corrupt and mistreating the people, making it "un-American" of us to back the military. However, supporting the citizens could be like walking through a mine-field; just the slightest upset could ultimately result in devastation. Mona Seif, an activist with the Hisham Mubarak Law Center said, "The army has a big part of it still loyal to the old regime. They have economic interests in the old system. They won’t let go of that easily." The military must let go; Mubarak has stepped down - customs must change.
These events ocurruing in Eygpt are terrible. It must be awful for the people as they finally got the strength to get rid of the goverment they believed needed to go and now they are just going backwards. They must feel shocked and betrayed by the members of the military that have begun to go against them. It is terrible that the people that are suppose to be protecting their people are instead arresting them and using violence against them. It is hard to say whether the United States should get involved or not. In some ways it seems like we should just go in to help the people establish the government that they want and deserve but on the other side is that really our job to do?
I was very surprised when I read this article. I thought that after Mubarak had stepped down from power, the country had been improving. In reality, Egypt's condition has been the same if not worse as it was during and prior to the protests. The main problem now is that all of Mubarak's top officials are corrupt and are not working to strengthen and improve their country. They are commanding their army to carry out immoral beatings and falsely convicting Egypt's people that always result in unnecesary jail time. Even though the conditions are bad in Egypt, I don't think that the United States should get involved. I think that it will only create more enemies and in the end hurt the U.S. It will take a downward spiral similar to what happened in Iraq.
The issues that Egypt is facing are terrible and need to be stopped but i am still unsure whether it is the U.S.'s job to do so. In some ways it seems like more could be resolved if a higher power or a more stable and powerful country stepped in to help the people and tone down the military's violence but like I have said in previous blogs I am a little more concerned with whats going on in our own country. Before something is done in Egypt, if we are to help, we need to think of all the possible outcomes and decide whats best and whats right. Then if we believe something can be done and will get done we should help but if we are are so unsure we should stay out of it until we know more about the current situation and where it is headed.
I hate to say this, because I do try to stay positive, but like Tori and Ashley said, I don't think this conflict will end any time soon. That is, of course, without the help of an outside country. Like a lot of other people though, I do not believe this outside help should come from us. We have enough problems as it is, both inside the country and out. Adding another would be like placing the tea cup on the stack of incredibly unstable dishes and bowls. We have finally started to recover from our economic crisis. To add anothing thing might cause a chain of events to happen that we are not ready to handle. What is happening in Egypt is terrible, I do agree with that, but we as the United States can't save everybody.
I agree with Samantha. The US really shouldn't get involved, but neighboring countries should step in and help the civilians. It doesn't make sense that there's a battle between the government and the citizens. The Government should be there to help the country develop and grow as a whole in an orderly fashion - however, the government is arresting people based on their beliefs, which really isn't right. My opinion is that what's going on there is wrong, but it shouldn't be our job to fix it. Surrounding countries should step in and help the civilians out.
This article was eye opening to me. I knew Egypt was undergoing a political revolution, but i had no idea that the military was abusing its power. When i see the images of the protests in Egypt it seems that they make the military and police figures seem like the good guys. Now that i know their motivation to arrest these people is to protect the old practice of corruption i realize that these military figures are in fact the people who are making this situation worse. The government should be the people to help the county's citizens, not arrest or kill them for unjust reasons. But i do not think any other countries should intervene. If the people managed to get their dictator to step down, they can manage to deal with the current military issue. With enough effort, the citizens of a country can accomplish a lot, and this is one of those issues i think they will be able to overcome.
I believe that the UN should step in to help. The events taking place are horrible, and they should be stopped, but not by the US. I disagree with Mitch, It is not the US's place to do anything. Egypt is not so unstable as to be on the verge of attacking Israel. Egypt's problems are internal and no one country should tell them what to do, but the UN represents all countries and can be considered a neutral bystander. If the UN pressures Egypt's military it won't be seen as one country trying to gain more influence in the Middle East.
I agree with Zack on this one. It will be interesting to see how the military will justify what they are doing. I believe once Egypt gets a formal leader that is put in power through democracy the country will have some sense of peace. I don't understand why a leader has not stepped forward. It's not a good idea to have a military in charge of civilians, it just won’t work. This looks a lot like it could turn into marshal law. The system they have in place right now look an awful lot like the old one in how it treats the people it controls. The people of Egypt need to take control. However I don’t think the US should get deeply involved. This could get ugly for us depending on how we handle it. The US needs a strategy that will stand for what this country stands for.
Egypt is going to need the help of other nations in order to get going in the direction it needs to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the United States. Having a military power as head of state is a bad idea in itself, but I don't believe U.S. involvement would be beneficial. It may sound naive to say this, but we have our own battles to fight on our own soil that take priority over the Egyptian citizens. The U.S. should not have military presence in the region, but should solely do it's work through the U.N. with sanctions and the such.
The US, considering that it is the most powerful country in the world should help out Egypt because honestly, how long is this crazyness going to go on for? Egypt clearly cannot solve the problems their selves and no one else is stepping up, so why not?
In reading this article, I noticed that the it mentioned how part of the reason there is such a struggle is because the army has economic interests in the old system. It was a little surprising to me that money and greed stand so often in the way of progress. I wish that every country could have Democracy, like we do, and I wish that we could do something about it, but if The United States was to go into every country that needed help and democracy, we would be involved in too many conflicts at one time.
Yes, this is a terrible thing happening in Egypt but at the same time I am not surprised parts of the military are abusing their power. The military did play a role in getting Mubarak to step down, but his departure does not make for an instant democracy or even a stable country. At this point I would say the country is even more unstable because of everyone's conflicting interests. The United States should definitely get involved and should not have put so much trust in the Egyptian military in the first place. I feel our country is obligated to step in because we are responsible for the Egyptian military's funding and should have some say in their actions. Ashley R. made a suggestion that surrounding countries should step in and help. I would strongly advise against this because Egypt's neighbors include Libya (experiencing similar, if not worse problems) and Sudan (experiencing genocide [Darfur] ). With Egypt's neighbors out of the question and our military funding supporting their problems, I believe the United States should definitely step in to help.
I think the U.S. should help out the people of Egypt to fight the government and to spread democracy to the country. I think it's terrible that the government is fighting against its own people. This conflict has happened several times throughout our world's history and it should stop. Democracy isn't perfect, but its a lot better than governments killing their own people. Also, the U.S. has been involved in lots of things throughout the world, and we can't get involved with everything, but I think we should try to help out as much as we can, like by giving weapons and food and medical service to the people. If we help the people of Egypt fend for themselves and fight against the government, it could help stop the damage that is going on and will lead Egypt closer to a democracy perhaps.
I think that the things the egyptian government and military are doing are ridiculous. They have no right to falsely accuse people and then sentence them to prison. Someone needs to stand up for the citizens of egypt and make it clear to the government that what they are doing is not acceptable to the rest of the world. However despite the fact that something needs to be done, I'm not sure who should do it. I don't know if the U.S. getting further involved is such a good idea, seeing how their involvement in other international affairs has not gone over so well. Some outside force needs to push egypt farther towards democracy, and away from the anarchy and dictatorship that have taken hold of the country.
I was surprised to hear about the brutal attacks and unjust arrests happening to the Egyptian people by their military. One reason I think I was so surprised is that this is almost never in the news anymore. Also, during the revolution, the media made out the military to seem good- they focused on how they tried to keep protests more peaceful and how they gave out food to Egyptians in need. However, this was not entirely surprising because there is still no democracy created. Like Quinn said, there is no such thing as instant democracy. But if no one steps in and helps Egypt to create one, it is entirely possible that these attacks and unfair trials will continue, and become the norm. I believe that if the US is going to take sides, the right thing to do is to back the people and their fight for democracy- isn't that what we are doing in Libya? However, I'm not sure that going against the Egyptian army would be the best idea- since they are the military, they would most likely strike back at us or our allies, such as nearby Israel. Like Aaron said, US involvement in international affairs has not always gone so well. Somebody needs to step in, or Egypt may fall back to the way it was before- with limited rights for the people.
The events discussed in this article, horrible as they are, weren't unexpected. Whenever there is a revolution, there has to be some period of tyme where the country is in a state of near-anarchy and has to find its footing. Yes, there are still remnants of Mubarak's regime, but that's expected after he was in power for over 30 years. Egypt's revolution wasn't going to happen overnight. As bad as things are now, they are better than they were under Mubarak and will continue to get better. In the part of the article where they discussed reasonings the military gave in trials ("Soldiers beat up and detained demonstrators and charged them in military tribunals with carrying sticks or knives, breaking curfew or using Molotov cocktails,") it reminded me a lot of The Stranger, where Mersault was tried for drinking a cup of coffee.
I think its awful that the military is still opressing people even though Mubarak has already stepped down. The Eggptian government has been weakened by the fact that they no longer have a real leader, and I think this is the reason for the Police just randomly arresting people who have done nothing wrong besides disagree with laws made by the former leader of Egypt. The military should't just be allowed to do as they please and arrest civilians for no reason. America should step in to fight the military, and help those who are fighting for their freedom aquire the freedom that they have been working toward for months.
ReplyDeleteI was suprised when I read this article. I knew egypt was having a power struggle but I didn't realize that the military was fighting the people. It makes me mad to see that although egypt may have taken a step in the right direction, it is being taken another step back by violence. The military shouldn't be able to give unfair trials and arrest people. The system is very unjust. I don't think the US should get involved but the UN or a neighboring country should step in and try to help set up a government.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you. this is a horrible situation that Egypt has been put in, and i'm afraid that something similar might happen in Libya. the protesters called for their president to step down, without thinking of who would take his place. the military stepped in and started doing what they said the last president was doing. i agree with Samantha, that a new government should be put in place, but it should be left entirely up to the UN so that no country is also dragged into this horrible situation.
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to disagree with Beau and Samantha on the fact that the United States should not help Egypt. I do agree that what they are doing is extremely wrong though and that a form of government definitely needs to be established. In the article is says, “Far from shepherding Egypt to democracy, activists say, the military is governing according to decrees similar to those relied on by Mubarak.” I cannot believe after everything this country went through the military is beating, arresting, and putting people in jail for protesting their rights. In the article the author writes about two brothers who were arrested and tortured by their soldiers. One of them said, “I expected this to happen from thugs, not from the military,” he said. “I felt our revolution was done, finished, dead.” It confuses me cause at one moment the people thought that the military and the people were “one,” and now they are committing these awful acts and sending innocent people to jail. I believe the U.S. should do something to help protect these people or the UN should step in and help. I wouldn’t say our country would be “dragged in” to this situation, but if they continue to do this I believe we should help in any way possible.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, something has to happen to solve these issues. If the army does not step down and return to peace, then this very well may be the fuel that the Muslim Brotherhood needs to take over. The army should not be doing this, especially as their are no indications that they are arresting any Islamic extremists. Despite the price, it would be in our interest to get involved. By helping the Egyptian people get fully free from a regime that we funded, then we will improve our standing in the Middle East, get the Brotherhood to back off, and more importantly, not get the Middle East engaged in a nuclear holocaust when Israel is attacked and they make use of their arsenal.
ReplyDeleteThis current situation in Egypt is horrible, but not coming from left field. Though I do think it was necessary for the people to move towards democracy, it is not shocking that the military is acting this way. When power is up for grabs, someone is going to take it and possibly abuse it. Obviously the Egyptian people can't change what has already happened but it is imperitive that somehow they force the military to step down. Matty pointed out that the people were saying, “The army and the people are one.” just a little while ago but now they are fighting them. I think the Egyptians were so incredibly focused on getting rid of Mubarak that they didn't really have a plan for after. I don't think that the military was plotting to take over power but the opportunity arose. Because of all the chaos, things have become violent. I agree with Samantha that a new, stable government does need to be put in place but it is not the United States' job to do it. If we go in to fight the military as Zack suggested, we are going to be stuck until it is solved. We cannot do that then if need be later do the same for Libya. The US should send financial aid and supplies but it is not our place to set up their government for them. The Egyptians need to deal with the military because if they don't they are going to end up opressed and the country will be in an even worse state than it already is. The military is completely corrupt judging from the "trials" they have for the arrested civilians. Before the military is taken out, the people need a new government waiting so this doesn't all happen over again.
ReplyDeleteI think the army is so out of control that no end will come soon. I also don't believe an end to this oppression will come without the help of an outsider. I do not believe that this outside help should necessarily be the United States. We, as a nation, are already in a lot of world problems and we even have our own to worry about. I believe the US should take the same approach to Egypt as they did to Libya. This way we have a way out and are not stuck in a huge mess like past events. Also, I agree with Matty in being confused about how the military and the people and be one, while the other is oppressing the other and putting them in jail. I feel it is all a huge huge mess and anywhere that you look there will be corruption or betrayal. The question constantly lingers of when does it all end?
ReplyDeleteLike Ashley said, there will be no end to this oppression without the assistance of an outsider. I, too, do not believe that this aid should come from the United States. We do not want history to repeat itself, and we have learned from past events to not push our help where it is not wanted (Vietnam). Right now, the Egyptian military is corrupt and mistreating the people, making it "un-American" of us to back the military. However, supporting the citizens could be like walking through a mine-field; just the slightest upset could ultimately result in devastation. Mona Seif, an activist with the Hisham Mubarak Law Center said, "The army has a big part of it still loyal to the old regime. They have economic interests in the old system. They won’t let go of that easily." The military must let go; Mubarak has stepped down - customs must change.
ReplyDeleteThese events ocurruing in Eygpt are terrible. It must be awful for the people as they finally got the strength to get rid of the goverment they believed needed to go and now they are just going backwards. They must feel shocked and betrayed by the members of the military that have begun to go against them. It is terrible that the people that are suppose to be protecting their people are instead arresting them and using violence against them. It is hard to say whether the United States should get involved or not. In some ways it seems like we should just go in to help the people establish the government that they want and deserve but on the other side is that really our job to do?
ReplyDeleteI was very surprised when I read this article. I thought that after Mubarak had stepped down from power, the country had been improving. In reality, Egypt's condition has been the same if not worse as it was during and prior to the protests. The main problem now is that all of Mubarak's top officials are corrupt and are not working to strengthen and improve their country. They are commanding their army to carry out immoral beatings and falsely convicting Egypt's people that always result in unnecesary jail time. Even though the conditions are bad in Egypt, I don't think that the United States should get involved. I think that it will only create more enemies and in the end hurt the U.S. It will take a downward spiral similar to what happened in Iraq.
ReplyDeleteThe issues that Egypt is facing are terrible and need to be stopped but i am still unsure whether it is the U.S.'s job to do so. In some ways it seems like more could be resolved if a higher power or a more stable and powerful country stepped in to help the people and tone down the military's violence but like I have said in previous blogs I am a little more concerned with whats going on in our own country. Before something is done in Egypt, if we are to help, we need to think of all the possible outcomes and decide whats best and whats right. Then if we believe something can be done and will get done we should help but if we are are so unsure we should stay out of it until we know more about the current situation and where it is headed.
ReplyDeleteI hate to say this, because I do try to stay positive, but like Tori and Ashley said, I don't think this conflict will end any time soon. That is, of course, without the help of an outside country. Like a lot of other people though, I do not believe this outside help should come from us. We have enough problems as it is, both inside the country and out. Adding another would be like placing the tea cup on the stack of incredibly unstable dishes and bowls. We have finally started to recover from our economic crisis. To add anothing thing might cause a chain of events to happen that we are not ready to handle. What is happening in Egypt is terrible, I do agree with that, but we as the United States can't save everybody.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Samantha. The US really shouldn't get involved, but neighboring countries should step in and help the civilians. It doesn't make sense that there's a battle between the government and the citizens. The Government should be there to help the country develop and grow as a whole in an orderly fashion - however, the government is arresting people based on their beliefs, which really isn't right.
ReplyDeleteMy opinion is that what's going on there is wrong, but it shouldn't be our job to fix it. Surrounding countries should step in and help the civilians out.
This article was eye opening to me. I knew Egypt was undergoing a political revolution, but i had no idea that the military was abusing its power. When i see the images of the protests in Egypt it seems that they make the military and police figures seem like the good guys. Now that i know their motivation to arrest these people is to protect the old practice of corruption i realize that these military figures are in fact the people who are making this situation worse. The government should be the people to help the county's citizens, not arrest or kill them for unjust reasons. But i do not think any other countries should intervene. If the people managed to get their dictator to step down, they can manage to deal with the current military issue. With enough effort, the citizens of a country can accomplish a lot, and this is one of those issues i think they will be able to overcome.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the UN should step in to help. The events taking place are horrible, and they should be stopped, but not by the US. I disagree with Mitch, It is not the US's place to do anything. Egypt is not so unstable as to be on the verge of attacking Israel. Egypt's problems are internal and no one country should tell them what to do, but the UN represents all countries and can be considered a neutral bystander. If the UN pressures Egypt's military it won't be seen as one country trying to gain more influence in the Middle East.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Zack on this one. It will be interesting to see how the military will justify what they are doing. I believe once Egypt gets a formal leader that is put in power through democracy the country will have some sense of peace. I don't understand why a leader has not stepped forward. It's not a good idea to have a military in charge of civilians, it just won’t work. This looks a lot like it could turn into marshal law. The system they have in place right now look an awful lot like the old one in how it treats the people it controls. The people of Egypt need to take control. However I don’t think the US should get deeply involved. This could get ugly for us depending on how we handle it. The US needs a strategy that will stand for what this country stands for.
ReplyDeleteEgypt is going to need the help of other nations in order to get going in the direction it needs to, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the United States. Having a military power as head of state is a bad idea in itself, but I don't believe U.S. involvement would be beneficial. It may sound naive to say this, but we have our own battles to fight on our own soil that take priority over the Egyptian citizens. The U.S. should not have military presence in the region, but should solely do it's work through the U.N. with sanctions and the such.
ReplyDeleteThe US, considering that it is the most powerful country in the world should help out Egypt because honestly, how long is this crazyness going to go on for? Egypt clearly cannot solve the problems their selves and no one else is stepping up, so why not?
ReplyDeleteIn reading this article, I noticed that the it mentioned how part of the reason there is such a struggle is because the army has economic interests in the old system. It was a little surprising to me that money and greed stand so often in the way of progress. I wish that every country could have Democracy, like we do, and I wish that we could do something about it, but if The United States was to go into every country that needed help and democracy, we would be involved in too many conflicts at one time.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is a terrible thing happening in Egypt but at the same time I am not surprised parts of the military are abusing their power. The military did play a role in getting Mubarak to step down, but his departure does not make for an instant democracy or even a stable country. At this point I would say the country is even more unstable because of everyone's conflicting interests. The United States should definitely get involved and should not have put so much trust in the Egyptian military in the first place. I feel our country is obligated to step in because we are responsible for the Egyptian military's funding and should have some say in their actions. Ashley R. made a suggestion that surrounding countries should step in and help. I would strongly advise against this because Egypt's neighbors include Libya (experiencing similar, if not worse problems) and Sudan (experiencing genocide [Darfur] ). With Egypt's neighbors out of the question and our military funding supporting their problems, I believe the United States should definitely step in to help.
ReplyDeleteI think the U.S. should help out the people of Egypt to fight the government and to spread democracy to the country. I think it's terrible that the government is fighting against its own people. This conflict has happened several times throughout our world's history and it should stop. Democracy isn't perfect, but its a lot better than governments killing their own people. Also, the U.S. has been involved in lots of things throughout the world, and we can't get involved with everything, but I think we should try to help out as much as we can, like by giving weapons and food and medical service to the people. If we help the people of Egypt fend for themselves and fight against the government, it could help stop the damage that is going on and will lead Egypt closer to a democracy perhaps.
ReplyDeleteI think that the things the egyptian government and military are doing are ridiculous. They have no right to falsely accuse people and then sentence them to prison. Someone needs to stand up for the citizens of egypt and make it clear to the government that what they are doing is not acceptable to the rest of the world. However despite the fact that something needs to be done, I'm not sure who should do it. I don't know if the U.S. getting further involved is such a good idea, seeing how their involvement in other international affairs has not gone over so well. Some outside force needs to push egypt farther towards democracy, and away from the anarchy and dictatorship that have taken hold of the country.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to hear about the brutal attacks and unjust arrests happening to the Egyptian people by their military. One reason I think I was so surprised is that this is almost never in the news anymore. Also, during the revolution, the media made out the military to seem good- they focused on how they tried to keep protests more peaceful and how they gave out food to Egyptians in need. However, this was not entirely surprising because there is still no democracy created. Like Quinn said, there is no such thing as instant democracy. But if no one steps in and helps Egypt to create one, it is entirely possible that these attacks and unfair trials will continue, and become the norm. I believe that if the US is going to take sides, the right thing to do is to back the people and their fight for democracy- isn't that what we are doing in Libya? However, I'm not sure that going against the Egyptian army would be the best idea- since they are the military, they would most likely strike back at us or our allies, such as nearby Israel. Like Aaron said, US involvement in international affairs has not always gone so well. Somebody needs to step in, or Egypt may fall back to the way it was before- with limited rights for the people.
ReplyDeleteThe events discussed in this article, horrible as they are, weren't unexpected. Whenever there is a revolution, there has to be some period of tyme where the country is in a state of near-anarchy and has to find its footing. Yes, there are still remnants of Mubarak's regime, but that's expected after he was in power for over 30 years. Egypt's revolution wasn't going to happen overnight. As bad as things are now, they are better than they were under Mubarak and will continue to get better.
ReplyDeleteIn the part of the article where they discussed reasonings the military gave in trials ("Soldiers beat up and detained demonstrators and charged them in military tribunals with carrying sticks or knives, breaking curfew or using Molotov cocktails,") it reminded me a lot of The Stranger, where Mersault was tried for drinking a cup of coffee.