Thursday, March 24, 2011

South Africa-Corrective Rape: A Scourge

Time Magazine-  From the office of Dick Miller, comes the staggering and awful methods of corrective rape in South Africa.  How does one go about changing these staggering rates of corrective rape and rape against women?   If you were president of the United States, what would you do?

40 comments:

  1. Growing up in a country like the united states of america has enstowed on me a sense that the world is better than it truly is. Though many things happen in this country that i do not agree with, i am still happy to live in a country of freedom. reading about these corrective rapes is appaulling. i have grown up to know that acts like these are severely punished, while in South Africa these crimes often go with no punishment at all. gays and lesbians can be found throughout the world and should be accepted as a part of our communites. The South African government needs to take conrtol of this situation before they impress upon these men the thought that this crime is ok. they need to act fast before these crimes become more and more common. rape is never ok, no matter what the cicrumstaces. It amazes me how people will stand back and watch as others suffer for something is now a way of life for millions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in America my whole life, I've never realized how thankful I am that I live in a country where our government would never allow this to happen to us. However, I am very appalled that this is occuring in South Africa. I know that all of the countries handle certain situations differently, I don't think it is right that the South African government is allowing to rape any women who is lesbian. Lesibians and gays should be accepted for who they are in today's society and shouldn't be changed because of the gender they love. Why does it matter if there are lesbians in South Africa? They're still human and they should be treated just like any other woman. The South African Government needs to change their tactics now. Allowing the men to grow up believing in this lifestyle can cause traumatic life-changing affects on girls who become women in the future. It needs to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan and Amelia, you have some good points. I believe that it is nobodies business what a persons sexuality is except for the person in question. But you are calling to the government to do something. Even if the government cares(whether it does or not i don't know), South Africa is still a very troubled nation. What happens to lesbian women is not even on the top ten of their priority list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have never experienced anything like this. and hopefully never will. We will never understand what and who this affects. This is a terrible thing to do. How is raping women going to solve anything. It doesn't make sense. These terrible events need to be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the South African leader, I would stop turning my back on this issue and fix it immediately. I would push a more severe punishment for the rapists. I would also promote teaching tolerance, especially at a young age for South Africans. I liked what Amelia said about the boys thinking it is acceptable to rape the women. Instead, I'd teach these boys to think that being gay is an acceptable lifestyle. Plus, like Chris said, raping will not solve any problem, it will just create a much worse situation.

    The U.S. President shouldn't do anything about this. I'm not saying it's not a terrible problem, but the U.S. doesn't need to get involved in every country's problems, as if were the Earth's police. We should deal with our own violence and problems, not another country's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just awful what is happening to those women in South Africa. I truly believe that this situation is incredibly contradictory because South Africa was the first to accept gay marriage and holds annual gay pride parades. If South Africa is in support of gays and lesbians, then why is this horrifying thing happening? Just because a man rapes a women, it doesn't mean that she is going to turn straight. Their feelings should be stronger than those that the rapists inflict onto them. This is a huge issue that needs to stop because it is emotionally wrecking strong women out of their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I though that South Africa was one of the most westernized/ modernized countries in Africa, but i can see that this does not include everyone. and even tough the government has an openly pro-gay view (as Jess pointed out), it is not the government but the people who are at fault her. this is a long standing belief in the subculture of the country, which as a government you can only do so much to try to eliminate. just like how the government dealt with such groups as the KKK here in the USA, I feel like they should at least attempt to do over there. unfortunately theres no real way to change what people believe. but, the government should do all they can to protect the women in that country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The statistics in this article are astounding to me. There are on average 10 'corrective' rapes per week and women have a better chance of being raped than finishing secondary school. It makes me really wonder about the effectiveness of the government considering almost none of the attackers are ever punished. I do agree with Caroline that it isn't really the US's place to get involved but it seems like more human rights groups should be reaching out to help these women. I also agree with Ryan that it is first and foremost the job of the South African government to take action because there is no excuse for this crime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading the article and everyone's comments I feel I a lot of good points have been made. Whats happening there is simply awful however one thing I've learned to accept a little more this year that we shouldn't be so judegemental towards other cultures because things like this that seem mind blowing to us, is just their lifestyle (and I'm sure there are things about us that other countries think are astounding). I do agree with Julia and and Caroline in the sense that the United States shouldn't get involved. I also agree with Beau when he said that he thought South Africa was one of the more Westernized countries in South Africa. Stories like this one remind me that Africa is still a young, troubled country thathas long way to go when compared to the rest of the world (not that we don't have our problems).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the following posts in stating that South Africa must stop turning their back on the issue. They must address this problem and put forth stricter enforcements upon the rapists. The country needs to stop allowing these men to think its ok to rape women. That rape is acceptable, nothing about rape is acceptable. The whole thinking behind corrective rape is just plain dumb. If someone thinks that a lesbian will want to be with a man just because he has raped her, is completely backwards. if someone who does not like men gets raped by a man, then that person will not trust men even more. Its more liking reinforcing their believes. Besides, a person is born the way they are you can not change that. If you love a male or a female, it makes no difference, that is how a person feels then that is how they feel. you can not change someone's feelings. Africa needs to make these ideas acceptable and the way to think not that rape is acceptable and will "correct" someone.
    I don't feel that the US president should do anything drastic. We, as a nation, are already involved in so many different world countries around the world we do not need another one on our plate. However, I feel it would be inhumane to not do anything. Rape is an awful thing to let stand. The US president should stay behind and support these organizations that are making a stand against "corrective rape."

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can the South African Government stand by and watch as this happens? I always thought South Africa was among the most westernized countries in Africa, but this article now makes me feel otherwise. I am sort of confused as to why the South African government has not taken more action to stop the growing trend in rape. According to the article, it says in the South African Constitution that rape based on sexual orientation is outlawed. So even though this exact situation is banned by legislation, the government is still choosing not step in to put a stop to it. The South African Minister of Justice was talking about the corrective rape and said, "...but that does not mean the situation has gotten out of hand." How can he say that when there is a statistic saying that women are more likely to get raped than finishing secondary school? This situation is appalling to me and i think the South African government needs to wake up and fix this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can honestly say I am appalled by this article. For this to be widely excepted by the community is horrible. I don't understand how South Africa could be the first to legalize same sex marriage in Africa, and then be this intolerant. These crimes are against other human beings that don't deserve to be put through such acts over something that is not their active choice. Also, the fact that this happens MULTIPLE times a week is sickening. The Minister of Justice spokesperson Tlali Tlali said, "We accept that there is room for improvement, but that does not mean that the situation has gotten out of hand". That is unacceptable. He is in a position of power claiming that this is not "out of hand" is wrong. I believe that with the first attack, this situation became out of hand. I understand that culture is different, but we as human being all live in the same time period, and its time for some things to change. Raping and killing people over who they love is unfathomable. The African government needs to stand up for ALL of its people and gain control of the situation, instead of pushing it under the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading this article I was shocked. It seems impossible that a country that is so open to gays is that intolerant. I don't understand how it got laws to be past with such intolerance on the issue. It is hard to know exactly what the right thing to do is. Living in America where it is culturally unaccceptable to rape someone, we are used to the government dealing with the issues. It is clear that there are far less rapes in the United States than there are in South Africa but there still are rapes in the US. Raping someone is an awful thing to do but hard to prevent directly. Rape victims generally find it hard to talk about what was done to them. The rapist is not always caught which just fuels more rapes to occur. I feel that the only way to confront such a terrible issue such as this one is to get the government to act on rapes and help convince rape victims to come forward. Intolerant people need to understand that rape is going to do nothing to change the way someone is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although I may not personally agree with homosexuality, it astounds me that this "method", per say, is seen as "okay". A statistic that caught my eye in the article said that "the average South African woman is more likely to be raped than complete secondary school". This in itself proves that this is a major issue that needs to be corrected immediately. The article said that "1 in 4 South African men admitted to having 'had sex with a woman when she didn't consent.'" Minister of Justice spokesperson Tlali Tlali said, "We accept that there is room for improvement, but that does not mean that the situation has gotten out of hand." If a nineteen year-old girl is being clubbed, stoned and beaten to death by a mob of 20 young men, solely because she is attracted to another woman, then clearly "the situation has gotten out of hand".
    Correcting this situation would have to involve aggressive prosecution. It may sound extreme, but perhaps castration of the perpetrators would get the point across. If women are being so terribly violated, then why shouldn't their violators be?

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading this article I am shocked at the statistics, personal accounts and information about "corrective rape" in South Africa. At multiple points in the article the author mentioned the clearly "pro-gay" laws passed by the South African government. How can they just stand by and allow these crimes to happen as a part of their culture? Agreeing with some of those who commented before me, I think that the United States as a country should not get involved, but the public needs to become aware of the situation so organizations may be able to aid in kick-starting harsher punishment or government involvement by the South Africans. After reading this article, I have come to realize that nothing is ever as it seems and our misconceptions of all of the African countries are skewed or incorrect in some way. In addition, I have grown even more greatful for the wonderful country we have the privilge to live in where crimes such as this would never be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had never heard of corrective rape until this article, and I learned how serious of an issue it is. The fact that 40% of women will be raped because of their chose of sexuality is truly depressing. It really show how people reacted to things that aren't "normal," in their eyes. The government of South Africa needs to address this issue in a responsible way and not just push it aside like they have been. A strong government addresses the issue that are effecting the people of the country and then finding a way to solve them. The issue of corrective rape is no different; it needs the government to step in and punish the people who are committing rape.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even after reading this article it is hard to believe that an event such as this is happening in our world right now. It is unjust and wrong to rape someone simply based on their sexuality. Althouh something needs to be done to stop this horrific thing from happening i think it is not likely that something revolved around government will do a lot to stop it. It would work better coming from the community itself but unfortunately these "corrective rapes" have become so common, and accepted within the community that it is unlikely that it will stop. The only thing that i could think of would be to place stricter rules on the consequences of rape in hope that those who do rape won't because of the consequences. Also i don't believe the U.S. should involve themselves in this issue. it is barely the South African goverment's right to be involved with sexuality so it is definitely not the U.S.'s right to be involved. Even if we did decide to act i can't see that it would help the situation at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Through reading this article I was exposed to a topic I had never heard of before. As Shauna stated in an above comment, corrective rape is not something frequently talked about in the United States. Not only is it appalling to hear that South Africa is dealing with this issue, but it is even worse that the government has not gotten involved. Jessica commented that South Africa was the first to accept gays/lesbians which poses further questions of why South Africa has created this issue or corrective rape. It is incredible that these people have been led to believe that by raping a woman, it will cause her to be straight. It seems incredulous that this is such a large issue and it is continuously happening. The statistics shown in the article are unbelievable to the point of being scary. Caroline commented that the United States should not get involved to avoid being the world police, but I feel that an issue as blatantly terrible as this one could be easily fixed with governmental actions. The US could be the ones to instigate these actions without playing a large role in correcting South Africa's issue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading this article I am surprised at what is going on in South Africa. It is a horrible thing that these women have had to and still have to go through. I believe that these men need to be punished for their disgusting actions, and if I were president I would make something happen because I dont agree with it. It is also odd for me to read that this is a part of their culture, but I think it is a part of the culture for the men, but not for the women. These women should not have to walk on the street and be afraid of something happenning to them. It is not right for someone to live through life being scared.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Julia, the statistics of these rapes are out of hand. In the article it says that people are more likely to get raped than to go to Secondary School. So, I don't understand how the government can't see this as a huge problem.
    I believe that the government should start getting involved in protecting these people or at least punishing the people who participate in these 'corrective rapes.' It's starting to get to the point where people do not feel safe.
    In America, I couldn't imagine people having the fear that they might be raped based on their sexual orientation. Here we live very free where our sexuality doesn't put us into harms way. But in Africa, this has become a huge danger. I feel as though this problem needs to be addressed directly before the statistics get any higher.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a very unfortunate thing that is happening to these women, and it needs to stop. It may not be Americas #1 concern to do something about it but it is a serious problem. If the most powerful country in the world doesn't do something about it then who will?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't understand why the people are doing this, if they were one of the first countries to legalize same-sex marriage. Rape is a problem everywhere, but for a country as populated and civilzed as Africa to be so accepting of these women being raped is quite a bit more than just apalling. Someone should do something to help out whether or not it be in our best interests, because none of these people deserve to be raped, and especially not killed or beaten like many of them have been.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this absolutely terrible. How can the government allow their own people to be raped as a form of trying to correct who they are sexually attracted to. The only way to stop this massive number of rape and murders is with the government. If South Africas government isn't trying to stop this then they shouldn't be in power. If i was the president i would try to talk to the South African government and see why they aren't helping.

    ReplyDelete
  24. After reading over this article I am shocked about what is taken place in this country. Along with Tori, I do not agree with homosexuality, but I do not agree at all how they are handling the situation. The method they use against these women is completely unjust and cruel, and it astounds me the little they are doing to stop it. The article said, “Human-rights organizations estimate that over 40% of South African women will be raped in their lifetime and say that only 1 in 9 rapes are reported.” This shows that there is a major problem needs to be dealt with in South Africa. It says in the article that South Africa should be the beacon of tolerance, since the country was the first to legalize same-sex marriage. The whole situation to me needs to be solved as soon as possible, and the men who are committing these crimes should be punished immediately. "We accept that there is room for improvement, but that does not mean that the situation has gotten out of hand," says Minister of Justice spokesperson Tlali Tlali. Seeing what is happening to these innocent women, I have to disagree with his statement. Many intolerant people believe this should be done because it is part of their culture, but they need to realize what they are doing is wrong. In the article it says, "but the world is changing, and people need to change along with it," the people committing these crimes should stop and listen, people need to understand rape will not change who someone is.

    ReplyDelete
  25. South Africa may have gained the reputation at 'tolerant' but it certainly isn't keeping that label. It's hard to believe that South Africa was the first country in Africa to legalize same-sex marriage when such atrocities are taking place. It is inconceviable to me that a country nicknamed "the rape capital of the world" can still have a Minister of Justice who says "...that does not mean that the situation has gotten out of hand." I agree with Matty in that people need to understand that this 'custom' is archaic in today's world. The government of South Africa needs to send out the message that this practice is not permissable. I also agree with Ashley: this issue needs to be addressed before the statistics rise. Women, and not just lesbians, already do not feel safe in their own country. That should be a sign that change is needed; hopefully the South African government will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  26. When reading this article I was in awe. I couldn't, and still can't, imagine living in a country where something like "corrective rape" occurs. I would be fearful of being around men I do not know and being put in a situation like the woman in the article. What's worse is that "corrective rape" has become embedded within their culture and up to this point, the government has not done a lot to change it. I agree with Matty when she said that this situation needs to be solved as soon as possible and that the men who commit these crimes need to suffer the consequences. In addition, I believe the men in Africa need to recognize that taking advantage of anyone is not excepted. It does not matter what you believe in or who you love; it should not make you prey in a predator's eyes. And for this cultural practice to be changed, I believe the president (or someone who has the ability to infuence others) should bring light to the problem. Educating people about the issue is the only way in which it has the ability to change.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After reading this article, I am in shock of how badly women are treated in other countries. We usually hear about unequal rights or privelages, but this article puts into perspective just how awful women can be treated. The concept of "corrective rape" in order to change one's sexuality is unacceptable and needs to be put to a stop immediately. The government must put this topic at the top of their priority list rather then push it aside. The story of Millicent Gaika allowed the reader to experience a first-hand account of how a lesbian is treated in South Africa. She was raped by someone she knew, scarred for life, and recieved no justice for the horrific act. The government must act upon this issue in order to save other women from rape, torture, and humiliation. The statistics included in the article are incomprehensible and must be brought down as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I read things like this, it makes me wonder how humans managed to invent the wheel, with brains like that. If a woman isn't interested in men, raping her is only going to make her avoid them entirely. That the government doesn't think there's a problem is sickening... and it makes you wonder if they think that rape is acceptable. I think that the world should publically condemn this horror and try to impress upon South Africa that this is NOT okay. Clearly, the South African government has no intention of stopping these despicable acts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fact that 40% of women in South Africa will be raped in their life time is a staggering statistic and is proof that there is a series problem. The women of South Africa are just beginning to come out and defend their rights, but the government needs to help. In the article, it says “Of the 31 lesbians murdered in South Africa since 1998, the only case to result in a conviction was that of Eudy Simelane…”. The fact that only one person has been convicted in South Africa since 1998 means there is a problem that the government needs to resolve. It is horrible that homosexual women must live their lives in fear of being raped, and the government says that the situation is not out of hand. The government needs to stop ignoring this huge problem, and do something about it before anymore women are hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. South Africa can be considered one of the most stable countries in Africa, and yet events of human brutality are even seen in this country. By the way the article described it these crimes seem socially acceptable to the people of South Africa. Many of the "corrective rapists" who are put to trial never get convicted. This reminds me of the judicial racism that plagued the South during the early 20th century. It reminded me of the events of "To Kill a Mockingbird", where the Scout's father attempted to defend an African American man against a crime that he did not commit. The bias of the judge and jury prevailed and the man was sentenced regardless of his innocence. It is hard to uproot a socially inbred problem such as the hatred towards homosexuals. The only way to stop it I think is to open the eyes of the people of South Africa and the World to this growing issue, and stop facts like this from appearing in articles,"which is to say that the average South African woman is more likely to be raped than complete secondary school."

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is wrong, and it makes me sick. These men who think that what they are doing to these woman is right and its also a sign of dominating, the woman have done nothing wrong to harm society. This is spreading like a virus and the only way that can stop it is if we find the source and take them out. The woman aren't the problem its the men! Society does NOT need these pigs roaming the streets. If Africa finds the perpetrators and throw them in jail until they understand to accept people for who they are. And if i was Presidents I would wipe out all the rapists and sex offenders in this entire nation.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I absolutely agree with Belin when she said that raping women for the purpose of getting them to like men is the most backwards thing I have ever heard. It is clear that there is a large group of people who encourage the corrective rape of gay women, however there also seems to be those who disagree. Although I do admire Millicent Gaika for her bravery to live as she truly is and come out as a lesbian, I don't believe I would have been able to do the same. Living so close to a place nicknamed, "the rape capitol of the world" would definitely have an effect on me. This is the first time I have read anything concerning the issue of corrective rape of lesbian women in South Africa. I definitely think that raising awareness is necessary on this topic. I don't believe that the United States should get involved but raising awareness is always a solid start. At times like these, I really appreciate and love America for the freedom and safety it allows me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree that this issue needs to be solved. The statistics are astounding, estimating that 10 women per week are raped in Cape Town, a city with about the same population as Minneapolis. Women are more likely to be raped than finish secondary school. Yet the Minister of Justice spokesperson said,
    "We accept that there is room for improvement, but that does not mean that the situation has gotten out of hand." I agree with what Tori said, that if young women are being raped and beaten to death by mobs of men, than clearly the situation has gotten out of hand.

    Another disturbing thing about this article is that I, along with many others, had not heard about this issue before. If this is happening in a country as tollerant of gays and lesbians as South Africa without being well-known, then it could be happening in less "western" countries, who look at women as being inferior to men, and are not at all tollerant of homosexuality.

    Corrective rape and rape in general in South Africa is out of control. It is the governmnent's job to protect its people, and the only way to do that is to put all of the suspected rapists on trial. They need to actually follow through with punnishments. This is the only way that this terrible cycle can be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  34. After reading this article, I was absolutely astounded. I can’t believe that people can be so inhumane and ignorant. I feel this also shows the lack/flaws of the education in South Africa. For a man to rape a woman so as to stop her for being lesbian definitely shows a lack of education on their part. It saddens me to think that this is normal there. As the article said, “40% of South African women will be raped in their lifetime” And also 90% of them go unreported. What these men are doing is clearly very cruel and unjust to women’s rights. They say that they do this to make these women straight, which is completely absurd and has no justifications whatsoever, but could it be that they also want to show their hatred towards them and punish these lesbian women? This violates human rights and actually quite frankly scares me. How can stuff like this be happening today in the 21st century? I can’t believe that the government has turned their back on this issue and hasn’t tried to stop it. The government has to step in and actually punish these men. Also, women should be encouraged to report them. If only 10% of rapes are reported, then these men will never see the consequences of their terrible actions. Also, better educational systems should be put in place in South Africa. In life in America we never really get exposed to the outside world and the unjust events continue to threaten several people’s human rights.

    ReplyDelete
  35. To all the comments before mine, I do agree that it’s appalling that people think that through ‘corrective’ rape, a women would change her feelings. However, many have commented on how the government should do something about it. I think it would be nice, however, the government only exists if the people want it to theoretically. So, if the people do not agree with it, I don’t believe the government can actively ‘fix’ it. Or if the government does do something, then the probability of it being followed would be pretty low, if the majority do not agree with it. Then again, I do think that some sort of punishment needs to be in place to discourage such acts to be repeated. I don't believe it can be completely stopped, as the whole 'motive' of conducting this act is based on cultural beliefs, or hatred (of gays).

    If I was the U.S President, I actually wouldn’t know what I would do. I probably would have to do something or get involved, considering the trend of the U.S getting into everyone’s business. However, personally, I don’t think that the U.S should get involved. As awful as this is, this is still South Africa’s problem. And they are the ones that needs to fix it themselves. This way, South Africa would become self sufficient, rather than depending on others. Not to mention, I also think that the U.S needs to first focus on our own problems before actively going out to help others. As great as being aware of the world and helping others is, we first must make ourselves 'strong' before being even capable of understanding how to make other countries 'stronger'.

    ReplyDelete
  36. After reading this article, I couldn't believe that something so terrible could be so socially accepted in one of the highest developed countries in Africa. It seems as if the entire South African government has turned a blind eye until recent outside recognition. Although there are laws and consequences against rape, almost no trials end in conviction. For this to change, all suspected rapists need to be put on trial. Hopefully with stricter punishments, the alarming amount of rape will decrease.

    ReplyDelete
  37. After reading this article, i am shocked that this is actually a common thing in South Africa, or anywhere for that matter. This makes absolutely no sense to me that these people think it is ok, let alone makes sense, to rape a woman to "correct" her from being a lesbian. The government needs to be more active in their approach in dealing with this very important issue. The government can't continue to sit by and watch this happen in their country. They should increase the punishments for rape, and also be more active in their pursuit of rapists. There needs to be more awareness about this issue as well, if more people are aware, it could hopefully lead to a decrease in these terrible acts.

    ReplyDelete
  38. One quote that really stuck out to me in this article was:
    "The average South African women is more likely to be raped then to complete secondary school."
    Not only is this statistic completely horrid and disgusting, but it truly reminds me of the luck I have to be living in such a country as the U.S. The root of the issue is in it's cultural bonds of homophobia, however, I believe if the young are educated about the rights of homosexuals, and more severe punishments and convictions are instituted, then we can truly expect to see a decline in these violent acts.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Reading this article, I became sick to my stomach. How people could ever do that to other people astounds me, and the fact that it is so common astonds me even furthur. You cant change anyone that doesn't want to change, and abusing them physically, and emotionally to try to change them is sickening. I do believe that something needs to be done, that's for sure, but I don't know how. Like Elain said, the government can't do anything for the people that they don't want, or what they don't want to stop doing for that matter. I feel as though the LGBT community (in South Africa and around the world)needs to step up and fight back. Perhaps not violently, but they need to make themselves known. That may stop some of the attacks, and that would be a start.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's great to see so many students commenting on this article. Dick Miller is impressed. I find it interesting that one of recurring themes, besides the evident disgust for such statistics, is that America should take no action towards this. Many of you seem to think that we are over stretched as it is and that intervening in this area would not be worth America's time and that this cultural perspective cannot be fixed by America. What about funding for schools and education for women? What about setting up organizations that create awareness and advertising that fights against it? Could these be viable options for America to look at?

    ReplyDelete